Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asiatic Lily Plantings

Posted by alana001 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 17:10

I have a large oval shaped perennial bed in front, and after a year of living here, I've decided to weed out everything and plant lilies. I bought 8 beautiful yellow Asiatic lilies yesterday, but after thinking about the area, I wonder if they will do well in afternoon sun? How should I plant them (group them, I mean)and what are some good companion plants? Also, there is so much weeding to do, I wonder if it will be okay to plant them in a few days if it takes me that long to get the bed ready?
Alana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asiatic Lily Plantings

If they don't get full sun, they tend to lean.

I kept mine in the fridge in their box for a week or more, they looked iffy by the time I planted them, but 8 out of 10 came up in a little over a week, was I surprised. I sprayed them with Liquid Fence.

You can stake them. I have many on the south side of my house, and the only ones that are growing absolutely straight get absolutely full sun. I mulched them. Don't forget to stir in a tsp of bone meal with the soil in the bottom of the planting hole like I did my most recent ones. That will give them a good start.

Don't plant them on top of bone meal without mixing it. It can burn the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here