Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stunted Asiatic lilies

Posted by garden_for_life 5b/6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 17:26

Does anyone know what is going on? My Asiatic lilies are all in different spots, yet all except for the "Vermeer" ones did not bloom in a normal manner - buds were misshapen and much smaller than normal and much less of them. Do you think it is due to spraying them too much for the red lily beetles during the growing season? The ones I can remember are: pixie, Negro, Star gazer, about 4 others I can't remember the names.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stunted Asiatic lilies

It appears that many people had serious problems with botrytis on their lilies this year, especially Asiatic lilies. Could that be the problem?

o

Thanks for the info, I looked it up. It could also be basal rot, apparently, because they specifically mention stunted growth. I am really worried, I have a ton of these all over and they are the highlights of my garden!

o

You cannot confuse bortrytis on leaves with other things. The distortion can be also caused by late frost , which damaged the shoot without killing it. If you are worried about basal rot, then try to dig one up and see whether IT IS BASAL ROT. No point in going around and worrying. If it is basal rot, you can at least save some scales which are not infected and try to propagate them .

o

I have some stunted this year too. I think it was just the crazy weather in April with no rain and many frosts with the cool weather. Some don't have the bud count they usually do.
On the other hand some seem to have divided like crazy over the winter. I have seen that before in a mild winter like we had this year both with lilies and tulips.
BTW what are you spraying them with for red lily beetles?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here