Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d_giffin

Where to find true (spotted) tiger lilies

d_giffin
15 years ago

I have a fondness for plants that my Grandma grew when I was a child, and I have planted many of them. However, I cannot fin d what I call true tiger lilies (the spotted ones). When I ask people, they refer me to what we call ditch lilies here- they are plain orange, and they grow in droves by the road sides.

Does anyone know where I can get the real thing? It would mean the world to me. (Grandma died four years ago. I miss her, and this is one of the things I do to remember her.)

Comments (6)

• ccrow
    15 years ago

The ditch lilies are probably daylilies, Hemerocallis sp. But even in the true lilies, Lilium sp., there are more than one that are called tiger lilies. What I think of as a tiger lily has orange flowers that hang down, recurved petals, and forms small bulblets at the base of the leaves. According to Wikipedia, that is Lilium lancifolium. Others that are called tiger lilies are L. columbianum, L. philadelphicum, and L. michiganense. If you look at pictures of the different lilies, you can figure out which kind you're looking for & hopefully be able to find someplace that has them. All that aside, don't you think it's a little strange that a spotted flower is named after a striped animal?? :-)

• greenguy1
    15 years ago

I'm guessing that among the various things commonly called tiger lilies as noted above, you are looking for L. lancifolium

If you're patient and can wait 3 or 4 years for them to bloom, I will happily send you bulbils from mine. I grew them from bulbils that I got from a stranger's garden (after I knocked on the door and asked) while I was on vacation in Cape Cod 4 years ago. Two of three of the resulting plants bloomed last year, this year there will be tons. And, they've been producing bulbils themselves since their second year, so I've got tons of those, too, that are falling off starting more plants as we speak (well, type anyway...).

- Steve

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

They're usually available prepackaged when the bulbs start appearing at the end of the summer for fall planting. Have seen them at Menards, K-Mart, etc. Might not be premium sized bulbs, but they bloom the first season - and throw a ton of bulbils so you'll never be without a constant supply of them again.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

If you're willing to wait until fall and pay shipping, I can probably come up with a few bulbs (2 or 3). I got them from my mom a couple of years ago, they originally came from my grandma's garden. I promised a couple of bulbs to a friend too, or I'd have more. Just remind me in the fall. If you're looking for more, I think Old House Gardens has them. They specialize in heirloom bulbs.

• kaky
    15 years ago

I just purchased 4 from Brent and Becky's for precisely the same reason (actually, they were my grandfather's favorite, maybe the only plant he really had an opinion on). I bought "Lilium, species - lancifolium splendens (tigrinum)." I'd be willing to bet it's what you're looking for. If you look down at bit in the postings on this forum, you'll find the planting advice I was given.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

oldhousegardens.com has some. May be a little pricey. They are not the same as ditch lily. If you get them established well, they seem to multiply fast. I wish some would pop up in my yard, very common around here but the ditch lilies are everywhere, so easy to grow.

Tiger lilies will lean into the sun which sometimes creates a nice effect.