Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannsm_gw

Need help with lilies planted in a pot

JannSM
9 years ago

I need help on what to do with some lilies. I think they are Asiatic. So far, the closest thing I�ve found that looks like them is 'Red Alert.' They have beautiful large red blooms, 6.5 - 7 inches across, and the tallest stalks are approximately 52 inches.

In early spring 2013 as one of my neighbors was moving, she dug up and gave me a spade of soil that I thought contained a single lily bulb that had new growth about 10 inches tall. After looking closer, I saw two larger stalks and 5-7 small plants around the edges that had been loosened by the digging; I put the small plants in two separate pots. I placed the larger mass of bulbs, which had not broken apart, into a single 12 inch hard plastic pot, about 2 gallon size.The lilies didn�t seem to miss a beat and the two large ones grew to about 4 feet tall and produced several beautiful red blooms that summer.

In the fall I left the lilies in their pots. This spring I was surprised (greatly) when 20 new small lilies appeared in the pot with the two large ones. I decided to leave them alone until after they bloomed. Four of the stalks in the 12 inch pot are now blooming. Two of these are 52 inches tall and have six blooms each with more to come. Two stalks in another pot are 36 inches and have three blooms each. The other small plants aren�t blooming.

After finally doing some research, I realize that the bulbs may grow much larger this summer and I'm concerned the pots may not have enough room for them. Is this right? If so, what should I do?

I�m usually pretty good at tipping plants out of their pots without harming them so leaving the plants with their mass of bulbs intact but giving them more room in a larger pot is a possibility (I have limited ground garden space), but is that the best thing? I will appreciate any advice.

Comments (4)