Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily problem

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 18:41

Hi Lily growers.
I don't usually post here, but I thought this would be the best place to get help for a new gardener who is having trouble with her lilies.
She gardens in a different city so I have only seen a picture of the problem.
She thinks she has slugs eating her lilies and described them as brown and slimy. She took the picture with her phone, so it's not clear, but I think you can see the brown blobs hanging from the foliage.
I don't think it is slugs, as I have never had slugs touch my lilies. I wondered if it could be the lily beetle grub. I have never seen one though. So far they haven't made it as far north as my garden.
Anyway, any ideas? As you can see the damage is extreme.
lily problem photo photo_zpsf080b2d5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily problem

Yep, lily beetle larvae. They cover themselves up with their excrement to hide from predators. Diligence is key. Check under the leaves and wipe off the slime, pick and squish the adult beetles. I have used Neem Oil and it helps but getting out there everyday and checking is the best treatment to curb their damage.

o
RE: Lily problem

• Posted by dazlr z5ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 11:32

A few of my lilies have the beetle which is a bright reddish orange color and some of its larvae. Got rid of them quickly because it does not take long for them to kill the leaves and then the plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here