Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

peach pixie asiatic

lam702
17 years ago

I planted some peach pixie asiatic lilies last fall. They're supposed to get 14" tall according to the catalog. I have about 5 of them, all planted in the same place and one has blooms on it (which are beautful, by the way) and it is about 14" tall. But, the others are much taller, more like 24". They haven't bloomed yet, so I can't be sure that they're all peach pixies. But, is it possible for the same lily to vary so much in size?

Comments (7)

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

It sure can, depending on how much food is stored in the bulb. That is why you always want to plant large, healthy-looking bulbs.

Lainey

• lam702
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The mystery is solved. I wondered why the size varied so much between my 5 "Peach pixie" lilies. One was about 14", the others a good 24". But, they hadn't all bloomed when I first posted here. Now, the rest of them are blooming, and they clearly aren't peach pixies. They are a bright raspberry pink. So, I have to conclude that they sent the wrong lilies, and the bigger ones are probably the regular tall asiatics. They are beautiful, but not what I wanted for this spot. Should I contact the company (Scheepers)and let them know? I do like the color, but the bed they're in is all yellows and oranges and they don't look right there.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

I would contact them. You wanted what you ordered! Maybe take a picture and e-mail it to them.

• bonnied_2006
    17 years ago

Interesting about the color not matching the Peach Pixie name. I just purchased that lily (in person) from The Vermont Flower Farm and they even mentioned it did not fit the name. Mine is more of a medium dusty raspberry color and I bought it since I prefered that color. The description on the tag says " unspotted pink with bronze upward facing flower". I really don't see any bronze in the flower I have. And the picture on the tag is a light pink and bronze with spots! Guess the original grower has things a little mixed up.

• lam702
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, this is interesting. Maybe the raspberry ones were peach pixie and the cantaloupe colored ones were the wrong ones. I did write them and they said they'll send more peach pixies. But, now I am wondering if what I really want isn't peach pixie at all, maybe it's buff pixie? I guess I'll have to wait until next spring, when the new ones come up and bloom, to see what the real peach pixie looks like.

• dduz
    17 years ago

I was going to post about the same thing. I also ordered the Peach Pixie and they were the right height but they were pink. I also ordered the Crimson Pixie which turned out to be 30 inches tall and that bright raspbery pink color you had mentioned. The lily Stones opened up to a bright orange color (should be solid dark raspberry) and Royal Fantasy was the brightest yellow I have ever seen (should be sweet honey tones of soft yellow to cream). This is my first year with lilies and I ordered from the place you did. I have all raised beds and I had them planted all in different beds. I keep a detailed journal of everything I plant and where I bought them from. Granted they all are beautiful but I wanted the colors in a certain place to go with other plants in the beds. I am waiting for the Orientals to open before I write to them. I heard they were a good company. We are in the same boat here hpny2. Good luck on your end.
    Debbie

• lam702
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dduz4, it sounds like, from your description I may have gotten crimson pixies. They were tall and raspberry pink too. Very pretty, actually. But, not what I wanted in that spot. I'll have to move them to another bed. The one that I did like there, I thought was peach pixie, but maybe not. It could be buff pixie. Who knows? The pictures aren't always what the plants actually look like. I do like Scheepers though. The quality and price are very good. I ordered quite a few fall bulbs from them, I hope I get what I ordered.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH