Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red beatle

Posted by anna_lisa Quebec (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 19:23

What do you use to keep away the red beatle that eats the leaves. Right now i'am useing fungus gnat killer dust but its no longer available in Quebec. Thank you Anna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red beatle

No...No. Please forget about chemicals. They maybe effective but the side effects can be longterm and BAD.

1) Plant Marigolds around your Lilies. I have Marigolds all over my garden. Marigolds has been around for a very long time. FOR a reason,they are a very good companion plant . The are natural insecticides
2) Plant a few Chives/Garlic near your Lilies too
3) Be patient. Companion planting works well but it takes longer time than chemicals.
You can also start Marigolds from seed which I always do. I save seeds every fall for next season. I save $. Plant Marigolds near your tomatoes too and some Basil. You'll be surprise.

GD

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 11:49

Hi Anna,
This is a re-post of a reply of mine to an earlier "Asiatic Lily" post.

"You have Lily Beetles. Most sites recommend a heavy determined "squishing campaign". If your lilies are defoliated every year they will eventually die out - since the bulb will not get nourishment from the leaves photosynthesis. Google "lily Beetle" (with the quotes so it searches as a phrase). "

Here's one link, but there are many more.
http://www.rcgardens.ca/factsheets/factsheets/neem.html

-Helen

o

Its the red lily beetle. They will kill your lillys. I have to use a spray on mine. I spray maybe once or twice a season. I use sevin,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here