Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

What is going on with these

cadillactaste
9 years ago

I believe the pot said It was a type of lily. But I can't recall the variety. My son bought me two pots for Mother's Day. My husband planted them...and as you can see they are not doing well.

Comments (7)

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what it should look like. I assumed it had just spent it's season...but my husband said he seen some blooming at a clients home. So something is wrong...

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Location it's planted does get a bit of sun...

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

They're Aisiatic lilies and Mother's Day was May 11th. Were they in bloom when you got them or did buds open and bloom after planting? Each lily bloom only lasts 5 or so days from bud opening to starting to fade and falling off. Then the natural die back process begins which replenishes the bulb for next season. The larger one looks normal to me as a lily that has finished it's blooming and seed pods will eventually be forming on the candelabra tips if you don't cut them off. The small one really doesn't look so good though - be tempted to lift the bulb and see what kind of shape it's in... mushy, rot spots perhaps. I can't speak for rocks as "mulch".

The fact that a client has one in bloom could simply be that it was acquired sometime after yours and maybe had more buds to open at intervals prolonging bloom time.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they were in bloom on Mother's Day. That particular one was in the same pot...so separate bulbs? Not the same plant...okay...I will dig it up trying to not disturb the one beside it.

Seed pods are bad? One wishes to remove those then? I guess it was my own doing...not researching them after I received them.

Appreciate your advice...making mental note to dig that one up tomorrow afternoon. I am not sure what the bulb should look like...as for the rocks...you can't tell. But they don't go all the way up to the plant. We know up to close can cause it to smother them out.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Usually when there are two (or more) Asiatic lily stems in a pot it means there's a main bulb and a smaller off-set bulb. The link to Google the images for Asiatic lily bulbs will show you what a healthy bulb should look like.

Producing seeds takes energy - some people cut them off after the plant has bloomed out, others don't. The remaining leaves and stem will feed the bulb.

If you're hesitant about lifting the one bulb now, let it go through the summer - wait till much later in the season when all the leaves are completely yellowed and the stems brown and woody. That way, if you have to disturb the healthier looking stem/bulb, it can be replanted immediately. Same for the less robust plant if the bulb looks good.

The bulbs aren't particularly delicate and are easy to handle - biggest threat would be slicing the bulb when digging.

Here is a link that might be useful: lily bulbs

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much...glad it's storming out so I held off on digging the bulb. I will do a search as you suggested. But, sounds like it might be wise to wait until later in the season. Appreciate your advice...

• Angelica11
    9 years ago

Seed pods are not per say, "bad". They're just where the seeds form/get fertilized. Since you have more than one lily, and they're outdoors, it is likely that the flowers may have been fertilized, so if you don't cut off the pod, then prepare for a LOT of seeds to come out at the end of summer, lol.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting