Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How tall will stargazer be?

Posted by socks12345 Zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 20:41

My stargazer bulbs have not arrived yet, but I'm planning where to plant them.

How tall will stargazer be?

I hope they come with directions...but in case not, how far apart can the bulbs be planted? I know the depth should be 8-10".

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How tall will stargazer be?

Stargazers are beautiful lilies. Usual planting depth is 6" (pointy tip of bulb 6" below surface) and 9-12" apart, or just slightly closer if you want a massed look. Soil should drain well and be in a sunny to dappled or partly shaded location. Here in zone 4, they'll take a full sun location since our conditions are no doubt less intense than in the higher zones.

Stargazers do multiply for me - not as fast as the Asiatics do though, but I'll eventually have to dig and separate them.

o
RE: P.S. re height

Stargazers will get 36" - 48" tall. So far I haven't had to stake them, stems are quite sturdy.

o

36-48! Wow, I'm glad I asked because that's taller than I thought. Is there an up or down to the bulbs? Or they figure it out no however they go in?

Thanks for your replies.

o

When you get and look at your bulbs, it'll be obvious which end is the top - Google the images for lily bulbs and you'll get an idea of what to expect. Once they finish blooming and you're left with stalks, it's nice to have something planted in front of them. In one place, I've got them scattered with ferns, another place with balloon flowers, daylilies and tall garden phlox and some with nepeta, Veronica, and some sedum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here