Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landini lily short-lived?

Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 20:52

Hi,

I planted a Landini lily (which I was absolutely in love with) and a MonteNegro lily at the same time, 3 or 4 years ago. Both are asiatics, I believe, and both were (are) in a raised bed mulched with chopped leaves in the fall.
Well the Montenegro is still growing strong, and has reproduced -- but this year there is absolutely no sign of the Landini. It was even in the best-draining area of the bed. I am in mourning, and wondering what happened to it. Are Landini lilies known to be short lived? Are they super particular about anything -- but it sure seemed to be happy the first couple of years, including last. I have had a hard time growing asiatics in other parts of the yard, though. Orienpets thrive however.

I haven't dug down into the bed, not wanting to disturb other plants that I have there. Although, come to think of it, there are one or two other things in that section that should be up by now but are MIA. ???

Raee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landini lily short-lived?

I planted several sets of these in groups of three and and five. They are 4 yrs and 3yrs old. Only problem I had was color fade with two groups that got too much hot sun at bloom time. They seem very hardy--here anyway.

o

Agreed, Landini is short lived and Monte Negro goes on forever. I think my current Landini is about 3 years old, but it seems to be struggling.

Try Dimension--it's fabulously black but won't even last one year! :(

o

Landini did not return for me either (two attempts).
Annual here!!!

o

Last year I planted 5 Landini Bulbs, all came up with one stem. 2nd year- it's May, and it looks like I'll have close to 20. Looks like at the very least standard growth for Asiatics in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here