Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Had lilies growing/now some spots are bare

Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 21:16

I had groupings of speciosum rubrum, orientals and asiatics last year in a raised bed. They bloomed really well for their first year. I don't see any disease or anything, but wonder why there are some spots that look barren now....nothing coming up in a few places. If anything, I would think there would possibly be some INCREASE, not decrease! The bulbs were all initially soaked or sprayed with ROPEL to keep animals from gnawing on them. Any ideas? I was careful not to use a lot of high nitrogen fertilizer because I was aware of it promoting rot.

Thanks! :0) Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Had lilies growing/now some spots are bare

Did you get that late heavy frost that came in our area? Many, many of my lilies have not shown up, or they were up a bit & faded after the frost. It seemed like even if they were not up, they were affected. Some came up, but didn't bloom.Even my huge clump of tigers have been hit hard. I'm hoping that I didn't lose them completely.

o
RE: Had lilies growing/now some spots are bare

Ngraham is probably right. I had a few that didn't show up either. But another thing to consider is this: Did you give them some bone meal so they could grow bigger bulbs for the following year? If you don't feed them, they eventually get depleted. (unless you have very rich soil).

Lainey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here