Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilies not looking good - need help

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 21:25

I've got several Oriental lilies in 2 different beds that don't look good. With several of them, they didn't come up as the strong stalks they've had in the past. Several thin stalks came up and aren't growing much. One of the thin stalks has brown leaves. In another grouping (Casa Blancas), 3 skinny stalks started getting yellow leaves from the bottom up, and eventually completely collapsed at the base.

I've never seen this before. I don't know what to make of it. Anyone got any ideas?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilies not looking good - need help

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 15:26

Hi Deanna,

Oftentimes when bulbs are stressed by environmental factors they respond by sending up numerous small plants (from offsets (rather than one larger one from the main bulb).

I can't tell you more without seeing the actual conditions your bulbs are planted in. It may be too late to save the main bulb, but what I would do to give it a chance, is dig it up carefully and plant it in a large pot with good potting soil in it. Check the bulb for any obvious rot or other problems and make sure you get all the baby bulbets out as well.

With them out you can improve the garden, (dig up the soil and add amendments to improve nutrition and drainage and check for other problems) or prepare a new spot for them. Wait until Fall to plant them out so they can have as much of the summer as possible to recover without being further disturbed.

-Helen

o
RE: Lilies not looking good - need help

Gardenfanatic, my Casablanca's are doing the same thing! I have some Star Gazers that are doing great. No problems with them.

I think I'll take Helen's advice and dig them up and try to save them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here