Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separating crinum lily pups

Posted by Farmerbell 6b MidTN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 23:42

I have some newly purchased crinum lilies and know very little about them. I do know they had lots of babies and I was wondering how to go about separating them. They do not seem to have roots but are sprouting off the main stem. Sorry I do not know the variety. How hardy are most crinums?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separating crinum lily pups

I have been wanting them for a while and have been researching them a little lately.I don't have them personally but from what I understand they do not like to be divided and will not bloom as soon if you do. Apparently they are one of the few things that prefer to be a little crowded so you MAY prefer to leave them as is rather than wait longer to see blooms. Maybe somebody with more experience could help you more. Good luck with them! -Ais.

o
RE: Separating crinum lily pups

Better late than never, maybe someone else with a similar question can benefit from my post.
Crinum lilies CAN be separated, but it'll be some work. We used to grow these all over when I lived in the Caribbean. Our gardener, a really talented guy, showed me how its done. You dig the whole flippin' thing up during its slow time since it doesn't really go dormant. We did this in January there. The mother bulb might be enormous. You can separate the large pups off with a big knife. The smaller ones with break off.
Replant the mother and pups in holes deep enough up to just below the base of the bulb. He tossed some well rotted manure in the bottom of the hole.
Our experience was that the first year after neither the mother nor the pups bloomed. The following year, they did and all set little new pups.
The whole process seemed pretty brutal, but they did fine afterwards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here