Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lily group ID? Mysterious mislabeled Lily

Posted by Kihaku-Gato 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 0:35

About 2/3 years ago I was wondering in nearby city store and happened upon bags of bulbs labeled "Lilium nepalense". Upon reading the label my brain plainly thought "SPECIES LILY! RAREEEE!!! BUY NOWWW!!" lol and so upon my instinct I did and planted them in my garden. For the first year and second they grew, but did not bloom. This year they budded and I held my breath as I watched the buds develop in excitement (by then I learned that Nepalense can be difficult to grow in my area, so I was happy), but when the first opened I realized..... I was duped. The colour and formation of the flowers are nothing like a Lilium nepalense.

Despite this, once the other buds started opening I've let most of my disappointment and anger slide..... and have realized that although this lily is not a Nepal lily, it is still a charming and slightly unusual lily. So I'm really wondering what this Lily is (or at least it's family group).

The plants are tall and VERY sturdy, they appear to be able to produce baby lilies through stem bulblets like a Tiger lily (though they produce a WHOLE lot less than Tigers do, and also seem to ripen more slowly) and the flowers are HUGE (three/two times the size of most of my other lilies) and pure white with hints of yellow/green and the petals are somehow textured different from my other lilies which consist of Asiatics (this lilies' flowers are thicker and heavier). And just today I also noticed some of them have a faint floral smell; like what you might smell when you go into a cool-aired florist section at Zehrs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So anyone got any idea for what kind these are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lily group ID? Mysterious mislabeled Lily

Looking at the photos, it could be Asiatic Lennox.

o
RE: lily group ID? Mysterious mislabeled Lily

Looks like a LA Hybrid to me. They have fragrance and are "thicker" than Asiatics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here