Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecitychicken

What do you think about this guy?

thecitychicken
15 years ago

This is growing in one of my raised beds right now. I don't even recall planting lily bulbs. Somebody must have given me some at some point, and I planted them not knowing what I was planting. Anyway, this fella came up in the spring, and has just started blooming. The stalk (or should I say trunk) is an inch across and it's at least 3 ft. tall. Question: Is this many buds on a lily plant unusual? I would guess this is an asiatic lily? It's not particularly fragrant. Thanks! ~~Katy

Comments (10)

• mgmb
    15 years ago

It looks like one of those L.A. lilies to me - those aren't usually fragrant but are huge.

• gardenfanatic2003
    15 years ago

It's gorgeous!!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

That's one happy lily. Enjoy it.

• thecitychicken
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Did I mention it's growing in almost straight composted manure? :) Mostly goat and cow poop.

• phylrae
    15 years ago

Love the lily, but your little one makes the picture even cuter! Looks like he's having fun!! :0) Phyl

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Agreed with the last poster and LOVE the lily, have no idea what it is.

• kprp
    15 years ago

Oh my lord, what a gorgeous lily! They LOVE LOVE LOVE that composted poop!

• thecitychicken
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How do I prune this in the fall? What do I do when the blooms are all spent? Do I let the stalk overwinter? When / how should I cut it back? Thanks!

• ofionnachta
    15 years ago

When the flowers are spent, cut them off. Leave as many leaves & as much of the stalk as you can---the chlorophyll that is in them is what is going to convert the sun's energy to next year's flowers. I asume you have staked that monster---if you haven't you might want to.

Flowers are the plant's way to do sex, as you know from school days---if you leave the ovaries (where the seeds develop, pods behind the flower in lilies) on the plant, the plant will think of nothing except making the next generation & will devote all its energy to ripening those seeds.

Cut off the pod & the plant will stil think of nothing except making the next generation, except now it will have to concentrate on making the flowers for next year, when it will try again.

When the stalk loses its green, cut it down to a little above the ground. This is not likely to happen until well into autumn.

Giving it some more well rotted compost won't hurt, but don't do it when the plant is about to go dormant for winter.

I think it is an LA I saw in the Scheepers catalog---go check out the online version.

Beautiful boy, too!

• dunwaukin
    15 years ago

Doesn't really look like an LA hybrid to me, though I could be wrong. An LA hybrid should have a scent, as well as different flower structure (more trumpet-y)
    That many blooms is not unusual you have around 30 on there - but lilies can get up to 50.
    It looks REALLY healthy -- lovely straight stalk and glossy leaves -- you should be proud of your talents.

When it finishes blooming, cut off ONLY the part of the stem from where the flowers start - up. Leave the leaves to let the lily replenish the bulb with the nutrients it creates from summer sun.

Not sure what zone you are in -- if you get good hard freezing in the winter, it should be in the ground, at least six inches deep. If it's now in a pot, you can just tip it out and into a good hole, and firm the soil up around it.
    If you don't get frozen, you could probably leave it in a pot, but it probably would be happier in the ground.