Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think about this guy?

Posted by thecitychicken SW Washington (thecitychicken@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 1:27

This is growing in one of my raised beds right now. I don't even recall planting lily bulbs. Somebody must have given me some at some point, and I planted them not knowing what I was planting. Anyway, this fella came up in the spring, and has just started blooming. The stalk (or should I say trunk) is an inch across and it's at least 3 ft. tall. Question: Is this many buds on a lily plant unusual? I would guess this is an asiatic lily? It's not particularly fragrant. Thanks! ~~Katy

lilystalk01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think about this guy?

• Posted by mgmb z5 Madison WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 17:24

It looks like one of those L.A. lilies to me - those aren't usually fragrant but are huge.

o

It's gorgeous!!

o

That's one happy lily. Enjoy it.

o

Did I mention it's growing in almost straight composted manure? :) Mostly goat and cow poop.

o

Love the lily, but your little one makes the picture even cuter! Looks like he's having fun!! :0) Phyl

o

Agreed with the last poster and LOVE the lily, have no idea what it is.

o

• Posted by kprp 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 13:31

Oh my lord, what a gorgeous lily! They LOVE LOVE LOVE that composted poop!

o

How do I prune this in the fall? What do I do when the blooms are all spent? Do I let the stalk overwinter? When / how should I cut it back? Thanks!

o

When the flowers are spent, cut them off. Leave as many leaves & as much of the stalk as you can---the chlorophyll that is in them is what is going to convert the sun's energy to next year's flowers. I asume you have staked that monster---if you haven't you might want to.

Flowers are the plant's way to do sex, as you know from school days---if you leave the ovaries (where the seeds develop, pods behind the flower in lilies) on the plant, the plant will think of nothing except making the next generation & will devote all its energy to ripening those seeds.

Cut off the pod & the plant will stil think of nothing except making the next generation, except now it will have to concentrate on making the flowers for next year, when it will try again.

When the stalk loses its green, cut it down to a little above the ground. This is not likely to happen until well into autumn.

Giving it some more well rotted compost won't hurt, but don't do it when the plant is about to go dormant for winter.

I think it is an LA I saw in the Scheepers catalog---go check out the online version.

Beautiful boy, too!

o

Doesn't really look like an LA hybrid to me, though I could be wrong. An LA hybrid should have a scent, as well as different flower structure (more trumpet-y)
That many blooms is not unusual you have around 30 on there - but lilies can get up to 50.
It looks REALLY healthy -- lovely straight stalk and glossy leaves -- you should be proud of your talents.

When it finishes blooming, cut off ONLY the part of the stem from where the flowers start - up. Leave the leaves to let the lily replenish the bulb with the nutrients it creates from summer sun.

Not sure what zone you are in -- if you get good hard freezing in the winter, it should be in the ground, at least six inches deep. If it's now in a pot, you can just tip it out and into a good hole, and firm the soil up around it.
If you don't get frozen, you could probably leave it in a pot, but it probably would be happier in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here