Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystery_gardener

Mutated Lily

Mystery_Gardener
18 years ago

We were over visiting a club member's garden when I came across this strange looking lily.

Mutated Lily 1

Mutated Lily 2

Mutated Lily 3

Mutated Lily 4

Cheers,

MG

Comments (18)

• cnid
    18 years ago

What great pictures. And what a monster lily. Is this fasciation?

It would be amazing to see a picture of this plant in bloom, Mystery Gardener.

Happy Canada Day!

cnid

• jaceysgranny
    18 years ago

It looks like some kind of weird bamboo with buds! How strange, I can't wait to see it in full bloom either. Please show us when it does!

Nancy

• pardalinum
    18 years ago

Yes, it is fasciated. Do you know what variety it is?

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Possibly 'aster yellows' virus? If so, it needs to be shovel pruned, and tools cleaned with bleach.

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a digitalis obscura do the same thing last year. I will try and dig up a picture and post it.

Hopefully I will be able to visit the garden where I seen the lily and take a photo of it in bloom.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Fasciated lily info

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Managed to dig up a pic of the Digitalis obscura from last year when it was fasciated. This year all the growth on the D. obscura is normal. Last year I also had a willow that was fasciated but did not take a pic (I thought that was its natural form, live and learn ;-)

{{gwi:1036019}}
    Fasciated Digitalis obscura

Cheers,
    MG

• gailz
    18 years ago

Can't tell scale from those stunning photos--could it be a eucomis of some sort?

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gailz:

It is an Asian lily, approx six feet high. Unfortunately, it does not belong to me so I do not have a follow up photo at this time.

Cheers,
    MG

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

My hollyhock nigra did this, too, this year. I assumed it was a virus and am removing from the garden, without collecting any seeds.

Susan

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Susan:

No need to dig up the plant. It will revert back to its normal form next year.

Cheers,
    MG

• dunwaukin
    18 years ago

Yes, fasciation. The cause of it has been postulated to be frost, genetic, or that the bulb is ready to split, but didn't quite do it. In other words, no one knows for sure. This year we had a lawn full of fasciated dandelions. Only one lily fasciated, though.

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here are a few pictures of the fasciated lily in bloom. The lighting was pretty harsh but I had to make the best of my opportunity. It is an Oriental not an Asiatic as I first thought. It has a very pleasent smell. The last one with my DW shows you how large it really is.

Cheers,
    MG

• bcgift52
    18 years ago

Pretty neat - I would have thought that the individual
    flowers would have been smaller than normal but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was hoping you'd get a
    picture of the blooms.

• cnid
    18 years ago

Unbelievable. Thanks for showing us that, MG. Amazing.

• anna_lisa
    17 years ago

I have just started planting lilium bulbs can wait for this to happen to one of my bulbs Thank you for showing this amazing flower Lorna

• inanda1
    17 years ago

This is wonderful. Hope the pix stay on here always because I want to send people to it. The best example of fasciation I've ever seen.

Inanda

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, did not think I would be reading anything on this post after so many months.

I am currently working on my own website. These lily photos will be placed there (along with hundreds of other garden related photos I have taken). When that happy moment comes I will post a link on a couple of the forums I visit frequently. I hope you will visit me then.

On the topic of fasciation: We had one large branch on a plum tree where every new branch from this years growth was fasciated. I could not take a good photo because the main branch was 20 feet above the ground. We cut a few off and brought them into the house where they grew multiple rows of flowers. Cool stuff.

Cheers,
    MG

• gooli94
    17 years ago

Wow...

If the fasciation remains, it would make a very interesting cultivar (Possible names: Doric, Pillar, Fountain of Youth, Bouquet...?)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert