Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshuaslc

germinating lily seeds

joshuaslc
15 years ago

I Have a few OT hybrid I just recently aquired. I would like to include them in my breeding program and would like to know how to germinate them naturaly or do they need to be embroy rescued? second how fertile of a cross would be from a orintal liliy to a ot hybrid?

Comments (10)

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Hybridizing Lilies.
    I do not think that getting a hybrid of OT and Oriental is possible for a home gardener.

• joshuaslc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why not after all ot are half oerintal. how ever they should only cross with the ot being the pod parent. because the ot's are tetraploids and pollen sterile

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Good luck then! Please post a picture of your hybrid in case of success! :)

• hld6
    15 years ago

You probably could. Afterall LO's are crossed back to Longiflorum to make LLO's. But, you would probably have to use embryo rescue to do so - since it would still be an interspecific hybrid. Also, are the OT's you have tetraploid? All are not unless efforts were made to convert them to the tetraploid form (such as with some Black Beauty).

But, just curious, why do you want to cross an OT back to an oriental? The seedlings would be more oriental like. Is there some specific aspect of a trumpet you want to get from your seedlings while otherwise behaving like an oriental?

-Helen

• joshuaslc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have Red Dutch and Scherzade and Silk Road, I breed oreintals for fun. but I want to go a little harder and try this. I do not have any trumpets in my garden as of yet. I also am growing from seed Lilium Michanginese and Lilium Candidum, from seed, I hope to cross those too. I like Oreintals a lot. that is why I am asking about those specfic crosses. you would think that though they are a hybrid and interspecfic by back crossing them with the others that some natural growing seed might appear. But if not I have found a web page that tells you haow to a home version of embryo rescue. Josh

• joshuaslc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen

Do you still have Lilies to trade or buy if yiu will I am willing to work somthing out Josh

• hld6
    15 years ago

Sure Josh.

My "My Page" is set-up to take e-mails so send one off to me. (Now that I know to check it - e-mail will work fine.) I will also have a bunch of seed this Fall. I plan on donating to the NALS seed sale but I could keep some of it aside for interested parties. I'm also a member of the Lilium Yahoo group (as hldlily) so you can also e-mail me through that.

-Helen

• joshuaslc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen
    i have emailed you I am really interested in Liliy seeds would pay you for them I am not currently invovled with the NALS just the Lilium group hope all is well in your gardens Josh

• hld6
    15 years ago

Hi Josh,
    I got an e-mail from you on July 5. (I just sent a repeat of my reply.) If you've sent a second e-mail it either didn't get to me or I did an "Ooops" delete while cleaning out my inbox. So if you sent an e-mail after July 5 please resend. Sorry!

-Helen

• joshuaslc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Helen,
    I'll send you another email apparently yahoo doesn't like to retrive meesages. Josh

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor