Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandma_gardener_02

are my lilies dying?

Lauril Rohde
13 years ago

Last year we planted lilies [lollipop and Crimson Pixie to be exact] for the first time. They are in a bed that gets full sun most of the day. This year they bloomed beautifully. But now most of them are pretty much just stalks with limp yellow/brown leaves hanging down.

We are in the midst of a severe heat wave/drought. I had heard that lilies can grow just about anywhere with little water needs. So as I was running around making sure everything else was surviving, I tended to neglect the lilies. Until one day I really looked at them and saw the leaves at the base limply yellow/browning. Thinking they must be thirsty, I gave them a 'drink' right before [wouldn't you know it] one of our few rainfalls. So now the ground is on the wet/moist side. The dying yellowing leaves are working their way to the top of the plant and now some of the top green leaves are showing spots with yellow centers and brown rims. By the way, there is one lily that is staying green. It is the only one that gets some shade from another plant.

Is this a problem of 1) excessive heat, 2) drought, 3) fungus, or ) all of the above?

I sincerely hope that we have not lost these plants. Would you think that even if the plants were very stressed this year, that they still might come back again next year?

Comments (2)