Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patreesh

Stargazers still have not bloomed

patreesh
15 years ago

Hi, This is the first year I've had Stargazers. They have been in bud for several weeks but still have not opened. Is this typical? Are they late bloomers? I live in the Central New York area. Thanks for your help.

Comments (4)

• azngrnthumbs
    15 years ago

Hello!

Perfectly normal. As long as the buds are healthy and green, they will flower and open either later this month or August. (Usual bloom time for most Oriental Lilies)

Riz

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

Mine should start opening in the next day or two. Some of the buds are starting to crack open and lots of color in them. I wish I'd written down when they first opened last year, but first photos are July 13, mass of them open by then, lots of buds in different stages.

I had one group in a large pot and planted them in the ground last fall. They had much richer darker red w/more freckles, and bigger blooms than the ones in the ground. Am anxious to see if they are still the same this year. I'm guessing it was either the rich potting soil, a little more sun, or possibly two different lots from the same vendor, 2 separate orders, 1 the following spring.

I'm starting to keep a diary, but my photos are a big help because I dl them into folders named the date I took them, plus that info is recorded by the camera, I think all digital cameras record that info.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both! I'll have something to look forward to when my other flowers start to fade. These are my first lilies so I'm anxious to see how they do.

• aliska12000
    15 years ago

patreesh, 3 open today, taller plants, gorgeous, bigger, richer and better than last year, their first. So maybe the first year they bloom they haven't hit full stride.

The only thing I've done is pull a couple of weeds and one watering with liquid kelp diluted properly earlier this season, foliar which drips down and some into the ground and very occasional watering when it gets really dry. Should NOT put liquid kelp on them now when it's so hot, at least foliar, will just let that go for now on those, want to catch the ones in the back if it cools down.

I'm not worrying about mulch as much w/the lilies because other things need it much worse, but it probably helps in a number of ways. As would compost. They can go without water longer than most of my other plants.

Something minor but a little unsightly compared to other things going on around here, something did damage the leaves some, light or gray, thinnish streaks about an inch or less, no idea what, plants look very healthy overall and leaves should be able to mfr & store enough for replenishing the bulbs over the winter. That was before I did the kelp. All the rain earlier may have upset the eco balance. Now it is suddenly too dry and hot out there.

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional