Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Lily bulbs - who is the BEST supplier? And when to plant?

irish_rose_grower
17 years ago

I want to buy some more lily bulbs. I was wondering who is THE BEST online supplier of huge healthy bulbs and are they planted in fall and spring?

I've tried so far, the lily garden, van englen and brent and beckys.

Also, anyone know why my casa blaca from the lily garden is stunted and looks like it is dying off? It never got any buds and was very small, now it's turning light green and looks like it's on it's way out. I'm new to lilys so not sure why this is happening. The other casa blaca is planted in the same bed about 2' away and looks fine.

Thanks

Maureen

Comments (15)

• bobby1973
    17 years ago

hi maureen,

i bought my bulbs last august from bloomingbulb.com for fall planting, and i had great results this spring. the plants came up tall and healthy and produced really georgeous blooms. hope this helps!

~bobby

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

i bought mine from QVC. Hahahaha, i know what u r thinking BUT they are gorgeous!! Big!!!!!!! But Casablanca that i got from ebay is dying,the leaves are brownish and the flower is small and brownish.

• phylrae
    17 years ago

We got GREAT lilies from John Scheepers, The Bulb Crate, The Lily Garden, Brent and Becky's Bulbs and a few from White Flower Farm. I'd say the LEAST EXPENSIVE by far were JS. They are blooming like crazy right now. BuggyCrazy sent us HUGE bulbs, but she isn't selling lilies much longer. I wish I had purchased more from her when I could. BTW, I wouldn't recommend Jackson and Perkins...I planted 8 Orienpets, 5 came up and they were SKINNY and had 1 little bloom each. :0( Hope you find some good bulbs! :0) Phyl

• carygardener
    17 years ago

I bought a lot of bulbs from VanEngelen.com - they are the same sellers as John Scheepers ..only a bit cheaper. But by far, the best results I got were from the bulbs I bought at Walmart. I bought the bulbs as soon as they arrived at Walmart and planted them early this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orientals from Walmart

• alina_1
    17 years ago

carygardener , are they all from Wlmart??? They are gorgeous!8-)

• carygardener
    17 years ago

Thanks !
    Yes, all orientals are from Walmart. The bulbs are fresh when they arrive so the key is to buy them as soon as they are available.
    It is pity that Walmart keeps selling them as late as May.

VanEngelen had run out of Orientals late last year when I tried to order.

• alina_1
    17 years ago

Do you remember when you bought them? I am in the same zone. They still sell Easter Gift buskets with Lollipops and Mona lisa lilies! I checked - just in case - all bulbs are dead.

• carygardener
    17 years ago

I bought them in January. I guess the mild winter in NC helped. I think I got pretty good flowers in the first season itself as you can also see in the pictures.

I agree with hld6 though that lilies never go dormant and that fall is the best time to plant them. If you buy it at the right time i.e. fall, most vendors will have good bulbs.

• ezlivin1
    17 years ago

I'm happiest with Scheepers for the last several years. All lilies have been true to name. Are there any nurseries in NY selling potted plants? Those give me much better first season growth than the bulbs, but I haven't found a single nursery in PA, De, or MD where they have a good stock (with the exception of Stargazer).

• oldroser
    17 years ago

I've gotten great lilies from Brent & Becky and also from B&D in Oregon. The auratum lilies are flowering now - over my head and more than a dozen open blooms at one time. The whole front garden is full of fragrance.

• tyshee
    17 years ago

The best places are The Lily Garden, B & D and then Valley K greenhouses and the Lily Nook in Canada. Also contact your local Lily Society. You will pay an import fee on the Canadian Lilies but there is a huge selection. I especially like Valley K.

• thirdmajorgirl
    16 years ago

I LIKE VESEY`S IN CANADA FOR LILY BULBS.

• singhji
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Does Agriculture Canada/Canada Customs allow lilly bulbs from the USA

• flora2b
    15 years ago

If ordering bulbs from the US to Canada you need a phyto certificate. I have only ordered from The Lily Garden and they provided it for customs.......cost $19.00 extra, if I remember correctly, but they included an extra bulb or two to help with the cost.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES