Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily bulbs - who is the BEST supplier? And when to plant?

Posted by irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 6:50

I want to buy some more lily bulbs. I was wondering who is THE BEST online supplier of huge healthy bulbs and are they planted in fall and spring?
I've tried so far, the lily garden, van englen and brent and beckys.

Also, anyone know why my casa blaca from the lily garden is stunted and looks like it is dying off? It never got any buds and was very small, now it's turning light green and looks like it's on it's way out. I'm new to lilys so not sure why this is happening. The other casa blaca is planted in the same bed about 2' away and looks fine.

Thanks
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily bulbs - who is the BEST supplier? And when to plant?

hi maureen,

i bought my bulbs last august from bloomingbulb.com for fall planting, and i had great results this spring. the plants came up tall and healthy and produced really georgeous blooms. hope this helps!

~bobby

o

i bought mine from QVC. Hahahaha, i know what u r thinking BUT they are gorgeous!! Big!!!!!!! But Casablanca that i got from ebay is dying,the leaves are brownish and the flower is small and brownish.

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 22:14

We got GREAT lilies from John Scheepers, The Bulb Crate, The Lily Garden, Brent and Becky's Bulbs and a few from White Flower Farm. I'd say the LEAST EXPENSIVE by far were JS. They are blooming like crazy right now. BuggyCrazy sent us HUGE bulbs, but she isn't selling lilies much longer. I wish I had purchased more from her when I could. BTW, I wouldn't recommend Jackson and Perkins...I planted 8 Orienpets, 5 came up and they were SKINNY and had 1 little bloom each. :0( Hope you find some good bulbs! :0) Phyl

o

I bought a lot of bulbs from VanEngelen.com - they are the same sellers as John Scheepers ..only a bit cheaper. But by far, the best results I got were from the bulbs I bought at Walmart. I bought the bulbs as soon as they arrived at Walmart and planted them early this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orientals from Walmart

o

carygardener , are they all from Wlmart??? They are gorgeous!8-)

o

Thanks !
Yes, all orientals are from Walmart. The bulbs are fresh when they arrive so the key is to buy them as soon as they are available.
It is pity that Walmart keeps selling them as late as May.

VanEngelen had run out of Orientals late last year when I tried to order.

o

Do you remember when you bought them? I am in the same zone. They still sell Easter Gift buskets with Lollipops and Mona lisa lilies! I checked - just in case - all bulbs are dead.

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 14:56

Hi All,
Keep in mind that since Lilies are best planted in the Fall all sellers don't ship in the Spring. John Scheepers/Van Engelen doesn't have any spring sales.
Brent and Becky's sells both Fall and Spring but their selection changes.

Note also that unlike daffodils, lily bulbs don't ever go truly dormant and should be kept moist and should have some roots apparent when you purchase them. Its more like transplanting. That said, bargain bulbs (WalMart, Home Depot, etc.,) will often grow fine because bulbs have enough strength to send out new roots. But your first season might be less than spectacular.

John Scheepers/Van Engelen is cheap enough that if you think to order in the Fall it's a lot better overall bargain than WalMart.

The Lily Garden is probably the best for bulb quality. Plus they grow their own lilies so they have very good quality control (i.e., no viruses) and dig them up per order shortly before shipping them out. But you are paying for that and I wouldn't use them for standard varieties like Stargazer, Casa Blanca, etc., that you can get anywhere. Also, because they are lily hybridizers you can find truly amazing new lilies that you can't get anywhere else. (Check out their lilies marked "CP" for Columbia Platte and their "Dr. North Asiatic hybrids.)

In the Spring I order from Brent and Becky's. They are intermediate in price and in quality between Van Engelen and The Lily Garden. I've gotten good service from them and good results from their bulbs.

-Helen

o

I bought them in January. I guess the mild winter in NC helped. I think I got pretty good flowers in the first season itself as you can also see in the pictures.

I agree with hld6 though that lilies never go dormant and that fall is the best time to plant them. If you buy it at the right time i.e. fall, most vendors will have good bulbs.

o

I'm happiest with Scheepers for the last several years. All lilies have been true to name. Are there any nurseries in NY selling potted plants? Those give me much better first season growth than the bulbs, but I haven't found a single nursery in PA, De, or MD where they have a good stock (with the exception of Stargazer).

o

I've gotten great lilies from Brent & Becky and also from B&D in Oregon. The auratum lilies are flowering now - over my head and more than a dozen open blooms at one time. The whole front garden is full of fragrance.

o

The best places are The Lily Garden, B & D and then Valley K greenhouses and the Lily Nook in Canada. Also contact your local Lily Society. You will pay an import fee on the Canadian Lilies but there is a huge selection. I especially like Valley K.

o

I LIKE VESEY`S IN CANADA FOR LILY BULBS.

o
Bulbs from US allowed into Canada ?

Hi,
Does Agriculture Canada/Canada Customs allow lilly bulbs from the USA

o

If ordering bulbs from the US to Canada you need a phyto certificate. I have only ordered from The Lily Garden and they provided it for customs.......cost $19.00 extra, if I remember correctly, but they included an extra bulb or two to help with the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here