Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

What do I do now?

alley
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have just started my search. I was just in Indiana and Michigan (I'm in north Texas). Let me just start out by saying how gorgeous all the gardens were that I passed in my 8 day drive around the country (at $4 a gallon, no easy feat). I just loved all the lilies I saw everywhere and now want some. I have summer weather envy. My Mother in Law gave some bulbils (thanks to kind folks here for letting me know what a bulbil was) from what I think is a tiger lily. I also have a few plants. I'm not sure if they'll make it here (although I've heard that Easter lilies do, so maybe others will too). I also know that this is not a good time to try anything with our 100 degree heat. But, it couldn't be helped.

What do I do with them? Do I put them in the ground and hope for the best or should I plant them in a pot for now? Last night I put them in the pots just to get them some dirt and water. Do I need to cut the stalks down (I thought that I read that they should die on thier own--if I cut them now will that hinder next year's growth and bloom)?

Also, what about the bulbils? They are just in a baggie at the moment, but they are all getting some roots. I know that they won't flower for several years, but should I put them in pots for the moment (several years) or straight into the ground? Will I need to put them in the fridge for a while this winter (we get winter and it even ices here, just not for very long)? If I have to put them in the fridge, then pot would be the way to go for now.

Thanks for any advice and help you have to offer. I hope that they make it.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz