Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different types of daylilies

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 8:48

I get confused about the different types of daylilies. I recognize an asiatic lily when I see one, as I have a few but they need to be dug up and planted elsewhere as Dr. Ruppel clematis has crowded them out. Have to do that in the Fall when all the clematis foliage and daisies in front of them has died down, so I can easily find the bulb locations. I'm not sure if I understand the difference between other lily types, such as oriental and other ordinary daylilies except for colors that are easily recognized.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different types of daylilies

None of the plants you mentioned are daylilies. Asiatics and Orientals are lilies (genus Lilium), not daylilies (genus Hemerocallis). You can read about Lily types and culture on this site.

o

I have a stella d'ora that will rebloom if I'd think to deadhead it. I am familiar with the wild orange daylilies you find along the road..some people refer to them as "ditchlilies" I looked at my Oakes daylily catalog this afternoon and saw and recognized the names of some from GW members photos..Do those daylilies bloom for long periods of time or just one day? I think that is what confuses me, and I keep thinking, why go to all the work to plant something that only blooms for 1 day. I know that Starglazer was a different type of lily, and then there is that beautiful orange lily that its blooms sort of face downward(is that consider a trumpet lily?)All these daylilies, do you have to wait for their foliage to die back , like tulips and daffs? I know that a lot of people seem to collect one of each variety, as well as Iris. Some of those bulbs must be rare because they are very expensive.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 17, 10 at 1:25

Pippi,

Each daylily flower blooms for only about a day, but the plant may produce many flowers and remain in bloom for months. Many are also rebloomers and bloom over two or more spans of time.

As you may have seen on other posts in this forum, daylilies are quite different plants than lilies. You can find info about daylilies in the Daylily Forum, linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily Forum

o

Daylilies aren't bulbs. They are grassy leaved perennials. Some do bloom for longer than others. Stella d'Oro blooms the longest. Each flower lasts a day but some have dozens of buds and some send up bloom scapes over and over. New ones can be very expensive. The foliage does not die back until frost and some are evergreen in some parts of the country.

The downward facing orange lilies are commonly called tiger lilies, they are true bulb lilies. Stargazers are also true lilies and belong to the Oriental hybrids group.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here