Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deadheading Lillies-help please

Posted by ritug 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 8:50

I planted quite a few lilies this year. They have finished blooming and it seems like some of the stalks have seeds pockets building. Should I be cutting the stems down now - they are still green.

Also should I let these seed pockets remain? I hear that lilies come back every year and also multiply.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deadheading Lillies-help please

• Posted by cnid z5b Ont Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 9:01

I just pinch off the seed pockets on most of my lilies. I always collect a few to sprout but unless you want to try to start the seeds, I would recommend just nipping them off. I have read that the plant uses energy to form seeds - if you aren't going to collect/use seeds, why bother? Let the plant's energy go into building reserves in the bulb for next year.

DO NOT cut them back - let the stalks grow till frost. It will make your bulbs strong for next year, and yes, they should come back. Some types multiply like mad (asiatics), some are slower (orientals). Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here