Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm after a lily with similar fragrance to the trumpet lily.

Posted by jumbojimmy (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 9:08

I don't like the smell of stargazer - it's too spicy. I really love the smell of christmas lillies, but I prefer a star shaped ones. Is there such thing?

Also, can you kindy describe the smell of the following lillies:

- Casablanca
- Muscadet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm after a lily with similar fragrance to the trumpet lily.

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 20:40

Casablanca and Muscadet are both Oriental Hybrid Lilies, like Stargazer, and so will have a similar fragrance.

I'm not sure what you mean by "christmas lilies". (Amaryllis perhaps?) A lot of flowers have the word "lily" appended to them that are not lilium. All true lilies have 6 petals, except the more recent double flowered (which have 12) so there are no star shaped ones.

The Easter Lily, Lilium Longiflorum, and its hybrids with Orientals, the LO's, such as Triumphator (among others) have a fairly strong scent but not as spicy as the Orientals. The smell seems a little "tropical". It's really quite pretty.

Actual Trumpet lilies such as Regale, Pink Perfection, Midnight, etc., have a very strong scent and are probably not what you are looking for.

-Helen

o
RE: I'm after a lily with similar fragrance to the trumpet lily.

Helen,

Jumbojimmy is from Australia. Depending whereabouts in Oz/NZ you come from Christmas Lily can refer to any of the white trumpets than bloom around mid-summer (regale, longiflorum, even formosanum).

Jimmy,

As Helen says, look for things like Triumphator (commercially available here), or even some of the older Aurelian or Trumpet hybrids. Just remember that everyone's nose is different so (if you can) smell before you buy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here