Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to lilies, have virus.

Posted by GeeDavey (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 9:31

I bought a mixture of asiatic and oriental lilies (25 each) from VanEngelen last year. Along with 100 tulips, they were planted in a smallish bed (2 x 8).

I'm pretty sure several have the virus. We did have aphids aplenty this spring. A few have the mottled coloration, others have broken flowers or the leaves are browning rapidly.

How can I pull and replace the bulbs in tight quarters? Should I dig the whole thing up? It almost seems easier, especially if the lilies are all likely to get infected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to lilies, have virus.

For the lilies with virus symptoms, I would remove some soil above the bulb and clip the stem off. The virus transmits by aphids on the foliage. The browning leaves are a symptom of botrytis fungal infection, common when a bed is overcrowded. Enjoy the oriental lilies for the remaining season, then dig everything up in the fall, removing and discarding the diseased bulbs. If you don't have aphids or other sucking insects now, you have nothing to lose. Replant, keeping lilies separate from tulips (which can carry the color breaking virus). Lilies need a lot more space betweem them. In my opinion, I would not add any new lilies until you see how these turn out next year.

I bet your little garden is putting on a nice show in spite of the sad situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here