Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
collecting some seeds

Posted by alley 7b Ft. Worth, Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 10:59

I don't know if this question goes in the lily forum or the seed saving forum, so I'm posting it here. I am at my mother in law's house and she has what I believe are tiger lilies (lilies to be sure). They are gorgeous and I would like some. They have what look like berries up and down the stem where the leaf meets the stem (but under the flower part). Is this a seed and can I just pick it (it comes off fairly easily)? If it is a seed, do I need to wait for it to mature or can I take it here? If it is not the seed, what is it? Also, I want to take some home. I know it is probably not a great idea to dig it up now, but would it be a really bad idea?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: collecting some seeds

• Posted by alley 7b Ft. Worth, Tx (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 15:35

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. The first one is a little fuzzy, but the second one is better.

Photobucket

Here is a better picture of the balls.
Photobucket

o
RE: collecting some seeds

"If it is not the seed, what is it?"

Stem bulbils - tiny bulbs that are identical to the parent plant. If they come away easily they're ready to plant into a pot or nursery bed to grow on. Choose the ones from the bottom of the stem for preference - they'll be larger and get away quicker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here