Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna lilies- question

Posted by blessedbe 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 12:29

I put 15 canna bulbs in the ground early this spring. About 5 of them have broken the surface. A couple have some pretty good leaf growth, though the tallest is still only about a foot high.

Is it likely that this first year they won't put up any flowers? It's getting late in the summer and the cannas around my area have been blooming for well over a month and a half now. The ones that haven't come up at all, is it possible they might emerge next year or can I pretty much assume that those bulbs were bunk?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna lilies- question

Colored canna lillies usually produce some blooms the first year, while white ones typically do not bloom the first year. But the following year, expect many :D

o
RE: Canna lilies- question

Cannas are very slow when started from dry rhizomes. Remember, in their natural tropical environment they never go dormant. I would not be surprised if they didn't bloom this year. If possible lift them before any risk of frost and keep them in growth over the winter period. That way they will have a good start next season. - Ian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here