Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Look at the difference in freckles on these Stargazer Lilies

aliska12000
14 years ago

Same company, different orders plus the second one was potted up until fall the first year then planted in garden, both I think 3 years ago now. The potted ones (second photo) have always had a little larger blooms. Color is more intense as well. Incidentally, it's very overcast now which makes pinks look almost neon; photo #1 doesn't look quite like that on sunny days.

Which one do you like better, if any? And why the difference?

{{gwi:1036727}}

{{gwi:1036728}}

Comments (7)

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I think they're both beautiful but I like the first one the best for some reason. The bottom looks more like mine I think.
    Nancy

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I prefer the first one, too. I'm glad they are separated in different areas by about 15 feet, but I do tend to break off all the seed pods when they're done, missed a few last year. The little neighbor girl asked if she could have some of the first ones, so I'll try to do something about that.

The first ones are making a spectacular display this year, but I think they need to be divided this fall and replanted further apart, but it takes at least 3 years for them to produce the most blooms en masse. I'm kind of dreading that and don't know if I should leave them alone and put compost down for one more year or what. I'd use a fork but still am afraid of ruining some bulbs or set them back. I know even the individual scales will grow, but it takes a lot longer.

Thank you for responding.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Mine are more like the second one too. The first one is very nice: I like the added white.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

They just both look very good to me.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

There are many Oriental Hybrid lilies sold as 'Stargazer' which aren't. Sometimes the difference is really slight. I believe the second one is the real deal but they are both gorgeous.

When I was a florist all hot pink lilies were called
    rubrums at first and then stargazers when they came on the market with their upturned faces. All whites were called Casablanca even though many weren't. It was the same with potted lilies too. Recently the growers have started putting the real names on them but many are still generically called Stargazer if they are even close.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the interesting responses. It makes sense that some SG'ers are generically named that, guess it doesn't matter, was just intrigued with the difference.

I got them from American Meadows the same or subsequent years, and I believe they import their bulbs from Holland. If that is the case, may not have even been the same grower.

Just checked and found 3 of the cardboard photo packaging, 2 bulbs each, probably threw the others away, says printed and packaged in the Netherlands. Too bad they are starting to fade, some still look nice. When it rains, it mucks their pretty faces up with yellow pollen but it must dry and blow out or something in a day or two if it doesn't rain again.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I pull the pollen myself. I try to get it before it becomes "fluffy" so it doesn't make a mess of my hands or clothes.