Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know what might be going on with these blooms?

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 13:06

I have some Stargazers and Casablanca that have lengthwise cracks in the unopened blooms. A few that have opened that were like that, the bloom is messed up. Anyone know what this could be? Could it be from not enough rain? We've been in a drought state since last winter.

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know what might be going on with these blooms?

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 16:06

Hi again Deanna,

By lengthwise cracks do you mean it appears the bud petals are opening at the sides before they reach blooming size and then shriveling up. If so, that is called "bud blast" and happens when a lily is stressed environmentally. I have it happen more for first season or crowded plants that produce a lot of buds (I guess more than the roots and garden conditions can support).

-Helen

o

• Posted by phylrae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 19:36

I think that this is happening to one of my orientals or speciosum rubrum....was outside and just noticed what you (Deanna) described. They are first year lilies but spaced correctly as far as I can tell. We've had a lot of rain lately, and then HOT temps yesterday and today. Didn't notice this before today. Thanks Helen, for explaining. :0) Phyl

o

Helen, yes that's exactly what I'm seeing. The summers here in Missouri are never ideal (too hot, too humid, little rain), but my lilies have never had these problems before. They're in different beds but doing the same thing, so I'm thinking it's the combination of not enough rain for several months and the extreme heat we're having. Very disappointing, as the blooming of my orientals is one of my favorite things in the garden! Thanks for your help!

Deanna

o

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 0:25

Hi Deanna,

Its probably the heat more than the drought that is affecting them (though I'm guessing here since neither is a good thing). Orientals aren't as heat tolerant as Asiatics and and sometimes do better in part sun (4 hours direct sun) rather than baking all day if you have hot summers.

Are they in full sun, (or even hot afternoon part sun) and how deeply are they planted? Planting deep would help them get additional moisture through stem roots and it would also keep the bulb cooler. Ditto for mulching. After the spring "slug season" a good organic mulch helps retain moisture and keeps the bulbs cool.

If hot, dry summers are standard for your area, you might want to amend the soil when you get a chance. Turning in a lot of good organic stuff (I use shredded leaves, leaf humus and peat moss) will help the soil retain whatever water it gets.

-Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here