Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alleycallie_gw

Why is Candy or Blackberry Lily not a lily?

alleycallie
16 years ago

I wrote several days ago trying to identify what I thought was a lily. The very first reply I got told me to go elsewhere because what I was describing was not a lily. I did post in Perennials and found that the plant I have is known as candy lily or blackberry lily. I just wonder why they are called that if they are not lilies, or whether the response I got on the lily forum was wrong and they indeed are lilies? I'd like to know exactly what group they belong to if not a lily.

Thanks,Alleycallie

Comments (5)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

A lot of plants have "lily" in their names. That does not make them true Liles (Lilium genus). It is a good practice to make a simple research before you post your question. I already gave you the link to North American Lily Society that has answers to your question. OK, one more time:
    Lily culture
    Also, folks from Perrenials forum gave you scientific names for your plant:
    blackberry lily - Belamcanda chinensis
    or candy lily - Pardancanda norissi
    Simple search on Google can give you all info about the group they belong to.

• alleycallie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you again for your information. I apologize for not researching the names given in perennials. After spending my life in highrise apartments in big cities, I am absolutely a novice gardener. And while I'm giving out excuses, I, at age 70, am not very computer literate and have dial-up which moves at warp speed. If you see my user name in any of the forums, you might just avoid me. I will try to do better research before posting in the future, because I have found I love gardening and this site is excellent, so I'll probably be asking other questions. Thanks, alleycallie

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Oh, you are very welcome! Sorry, I did not mean to be rude, it is just my poor English. I struggle every time I write in English, but since nobody else answered, I tried to be helpful. What I meant: you have all info you need to know more about your plants. It is just really easy to do:

First, go to the google site (google.com) or any other site with a search engine (yahoo.com is another one).
    Then enter you key words into search textbox and press 'Search' button. You will get tons of info about your subject. Also, you can choose 'Image' option. You will get pictures that have your key words in their names or descriptions. In your case the key words are either common names (blackberry lily) or scientific names (Belamcanda chinensis). Scientific names are better for searching because they are unique.

Did people from the Perrenials forum identify your plants correctly?

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Alleycallie: Welcome to gardening. I have been gardening for 15 years and still don't know nearly enough. Just started shade gardening in the last few months. Didn't know what grew there except hosta. Everyone has been very helpful at GW. Welcome aboard.
    Tracy

• alleycallie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement. Our little rural library has DSL, but it is only open three times a week, when I work at a part-time job (got suckered into running small town chamber of commerce). I'm considering getting it at home, because waiting for plant pictures to download or even waiting for the pages in this forum to download is really frustrating, drives me nuts. Thanks again, and for now, that's all on lilies! alleycallie.