Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily ID (pics)

Posted by i_dig_it z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 15:29

I "inherited" some lily bulbs a few years ago and I have to confess, I don't know much about them or what kind they are.

Here's a picture of what was usually there, until this year.
Lilies

Does anyone know what these orange and red lilies might be?
Also see the odd looking stalk near the left side between the orange lilies? It was not there for the first two years, but it suddenly appeared and bloomed into this...
White Lily

It's a huge white fragrant lily! Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for any help.
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily ID (pics)

Janet, you have Asiatic Lilies on your first picture. The orange one is probably 'Loreto'. The white Oriental on your second picture is most likely 'Casablanca'.
The red Asiatic is not distinctive enough to ID, sorry.

o

Alina thanks for the info. I looked up 'Loreto' and it sure does look like those I have.
Those are done blooming now, so I'll have to wait until next year to get a better picture of the red ones.

So I wonder if the Oriental lily was in with the other lily bulbs I planted and just dormant for the first couple of years? It was quite a surprise when I noticed it coming up with them as I could tell it was a "different" kind of lily.

It's very pretty though and the fragrance is strong. Would it hurt it any to dig it up after it's done blooming and replant it somewhere else? Would fall be the time to do it?

Thanks again,
Janet

o

Janet, it is not about the picture. There are too many solid red Asiatics to define which one you have.
The Oriental could be dormant or just too small to bloom. You might not notice a bloomless stem among other Lilies. Fall would be a perfect time to transplant it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here