Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you name this lily by description?

Posted by alleycallie 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 15:59

Hi, My mother has two lily plants in her garden that nobody can name. One person swears that they are lilies. Most people think they look like iris from a distance, but upon inspection know they are not. They have a huge clump of blade-like leaves. They are flowering now, and at the top they have many small flowers atop a stalk that branches into sort of a geometric-looking pattern, and then atop these weird branches are the little flowers. A nursery person also told me she thought they were a lily that the flowers would probably be multi-colored, but she didn't have a name for them. I noticed that tyhe buds appeared to be orange from a distance, but when I got up close the first time, the one open flower seemed to have a striped petal that was burgundy and white.

I don't have a digital camera and live in a very rural area without good access to a big library. If someone knows a lily website where I could browse through pictures, or perhaps even give me some possible suggestions of what this lily might be, I would really appreciate it, as I would like to get some more of this plant. I'm a novice gardener and hope I've given enough information for someone to throw some guesses at me!

I hope I am in the right forum, because they seem to be staying, not falling as a daylily would.

Thanks, Alleycallie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you name this lily by description?

Hi Alleycallie,
I am afraid you are not in the right forum. I can not identify you mother's plants, but they are not Lilies. True Lilies do not grow in clumps of blade-like leaves. You can find info about Lilies at lilies.org.
Try to browse Brent and Becky's nursery web site. They have lots of tuberous plants' pictures and descriptions. Maybe, you will find your plant there. Also, you might want to post your question at the Perennials forum.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here