Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help figuring out what kind of lily this is...

Posted by wolfstar9 Iowa (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 16:02

I'm waiting for a picture to get from my phone to my email, but was wondering if anyone knew of a gallery of images with names of all the different kinds of lily's. I moved into a new house in October 2006 and have no idea what kind these are. I have what looks to me like tiger lilies on one side of the house, and these are in the front and the back of the house (west and east sides)

They are light pink and mauve in color and have one straight stalk, no leaves that I can see, and three flowers per stalk. So far all of them have to lighter pink flowers and one darker mauve colored flower.

If anyone knows of a good place to look online to id flowers that would be great!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help figuring out what kind of lily this is...

Hi Wolfstar! I have been going through the exact same thing as you. We moved into our house 3 years ago and brought our garden with us from our former home. This year has been dedicated to starting new flower beds and identifying the lilies that the old owners left behind. I didn't know a thing about them until I came to gardenweb and got some great help from these folks. Sometimes I just type something like "hot pink freckled lily" into google and get websites that post pics of the ones they are selling or images that gardeners have taken of the plants they grow in their yard and post to photobucket or flickr.

Here is a link to one of the sites I use to help me identify my lilies.

Good luck
Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of lilies with descriptions and planting advice

o

The online catalogs from Old House Gardens, and also John Scheepers or Van Engelen can give you most of the varieties to look at.

o

Thanks for all the help! I looked at the websites and got a better idea for what kind of flower I have, but still no positive id.
I posted a very small picture in the gallery....one of these days I'll have to figure out how to get a larger picture in there.
It's posted under Is this a lily or an amaryllis?
Maybe the picture will help someone identify it. I love the flowers and plan to keep them. I actually hope that like tulips, they will multiply so I can plant more in other parts of my garden.
Thanks again for all the help!
-Carrie

o

Hi Carrie,
Your plant is Amaryllis Belladonna. You can Google for more info about it or ask questions on Bulbs forum.

o

Thank you alina 1 and everyone else! It was driving me crazy not knowing!

Happy gardening!

-Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here