Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stargazer Lily Question- Transplant and New Bulbs

Posted by nittspike 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 05 at 16:04

Hi All,

I planted 3 Stargazer Lily bulbs this past spring and two came up and only one is now in bloom. I didn't fertilized and or put them in great soil. I just put them in a sunny spot b/c I was running out of time in the spring. I wanted them to bloom around beginning of August for my daughter's 3rd birthday (Lilly).
Anyway my question(s) would be.

1. Can I dig up both plants in the fall and recondition the soil and not loose any height for next year?

2. Can I plant some new bulbs this fall and would they bloom apx the same time and at the same height as the ones I have now (ones I have now are maybe 12-13" in height-One did just bloom this morning and is beautiful)

Thanks,
John
Bear, Delaware

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stargazer Lily Question- Transplant and New Bulbs

some spring planted bulbs may take another season to grow. if you plant bulbs this fall - or move bulbs - they will still grow and flower next summer with little or no effect. It is difficult to time flowering to a specific event because they can bloom several weeks each side due to factors such as sun exposure, temperatures, early warm spring, etc, etc

o

Your lilies will be bigger next year. Some bulbs which are on the smaller side when planted take an extra year to give full tall growth. Your Stargazers will all bloom together at the same time period once they get established. If you move them in the fall they might be the same size as this year & take one more year to be full size. Planting new bulbs this fall will most likely give you the same size because they too will take the extra year to grow to full size.
You could take the Stargazer out this fall & condition the soil which would be good for the plants in the long run.
The most important thing to remember is to remove the flower heads once they are done flowering & leave the foliage to turn yellow/brown before you remove the dead stems. Leaving the stems to yellow out feeds the bulb for next year & will give you a stronger plant with more flowers the following year. Never remove the foliage while it is still green or you will weaken the bulbs & have small growth & maybe no flowers. Lilies also like to be kept moist.

o

i have about 15 stargazer lilies that i need to move about 8 feet. all of these lilies are about to bloom, can i move them without causing any harm?

o

I know I have to move mine right now. I just planted them a month ago and they're already three to four feet high.
I'm just going to be extra gentle and transfer them to a pot. We have to have our house tented for termites and I don't want them broken and lost all together.
Best way to save them intact is to thouroughly wet the soil. Then take at least four inches out beyond the stem to get all the roots. Good luck to both of us.

o

Since that post was from three years ago I assume SusanD moved her lilies long ago.....

o

A neighbor gave me some bulbs last Fall. I planted them in pots, only one has a very small stalk coming up. I dug up the other two today and the bulb is a bright yellow and has whitish growth coming out of it. Did I plant these upside down? What can I do with them now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here