Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem! My Lilies buds are big but they dont want to open!!

Posted by mac_girl_81 10 - ENCINO, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 16:06

I have stargazers, casablanca and candy cane..They have very big buds for more than 1 month, but haven't opened.:((

is there anything i could do to help them out??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem! My Lilies buds are big but they dont want to open!!

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 20:18

Aren't these the lilies you got the end of May? (You posted a question on whether it was too late to plant them.) I'm glad to hear that they have buds on them. Orientals bloom July to August. Since yours were planted pretty late you should expect them to bloom later than is normal for your zone.

Orientals have pretty large blooms. If the buds are green (regardless of size) they are not ready to bloom yet. You'll know when they are close to blooming when you can see some color through the still closed petals.

For example, my established Stargazers are in bloom now, but my late planted Triumphator (a Longiflorum - Oriental hybrid which would normally bloom shortly before Stargazer) have a way to go before they will bloom. After overwintering the late planted lilies will be on the expected timetable next season.

-Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here