Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilylilum color

Posted by Anna_lisa Quebec (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 05 at 16:27

Hi This is my frist year with lilum lily. I have yellow and also white with pink line inside very beautiful. I have heard that these flower can change colors how can i help them keep there color. I don't want them to change to orange. Is there something I can do and how long do they keep there color thank you Anna lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilylilum color

Bonjour, Anna lisa.

I only know of two ways that a lily can "change" colours.

1) Some lily colours (especially dark ones) gradually fade as the flowers get older. They open darker, but become lighter within a few days. Some of these lilies do not fade as much if they are planted in a little bit of shade.

2) A lily could be pollenated by a lily of a different colour and form a viable seed. If this seed falls from the plant and germinates, the flower might be a different colour from the mother plant. But, because the two plants are so close together, it could appear as though the mother is changing colour (especially if, for some unrelated reason, the mother plant dies).

I have grown lilies for many years, and none of them have changed colour (except for reason #1). Enjoy your new plants. The pink and white one sounds especially lovely. Don't worry...it won't turn into any other colour.

o
RE: lilylilum color

'Lilium' is the botanical name of all 'true' lilies. (Daylilies are NOT 'true' lilies.) Liliums don't change color---no need to worry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here