Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paultandberg

Refrigerating a cut lily stem.

paultandberg
11 years ago

I may want to slow the maturation of a lily I wish to show at the county fair next week (the weather is hot and it looks to be getting ready to open its first bud pretty quick). Can I put the stem in a vase and keep the lily in a refrigerator for a couple days? I have a refrigerator in the basement that is currently unplugged and empty.

Is there any downside to refrigerating a lily for a couple days? Will it affect the opening of the later buds?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• roxanna
    11 years ago

i was in the floral retail business for 12 years. florists keep their flowers in coolers, where the temperature is between 34 and 46 degrees. and most of the larger buds on the lily stem will open eventually when the stem is at room temp. good luck with your showing!

• denninmi
    11 years ago

They should keep quite well in a refrigerator. Be sure it's not set so high it freezes the buds, and also be absolutely sure NOT to have any kind of produce in there (you said yours is empty now), since that produces ethylene gas that will premature kill open flowers and make buds abort.

When you take it out, be sure to use not just water, but a solution of cut flower food. You can buy it, but you can also easily make your own by adding about a teaspoon of table sugar and a quarter teaspoon of powdered citric acid (sour salt, sold in the spice/baking area or with the dietetic foods/low sodium foods) to a quart of lukewarm water.

• paultandberg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help. The lily is in the refrigerator as I type.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

I may want to slow the maturation of a lily I wish to show at the county fair next week
    So how did you come out with refrigerating it? Did you get to enter it at the fair?

Details...Pics?

I might add too, that in the future, you might add a wet towel or some containers with water in them, to raise the humidity some, especially if it happens to be a frost free fridge.

Sue