Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerating a cut lily stem.

Posted by paultandberg z3 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 16:34

I may want to slow the maturation of a lily I wish to show at the county fair next week (the weather is hot and it looks to be getting ready to open its first bud pretty quick). Can I put the stem in a vase and keep the lily in a refrigerator for a couple days? I have a refrigerator in the basement that is currently unplugged and empty.

Is there any downside to refrigerating a lily for a couple days? Will it affect the opening of the later buds?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerating a cut lily stem.

i was in the floral retail business for 12 years. florists keep their flowers in coolers, where the temperature is between 34 and 46 degrees. and most of the larger buds on the lily stem will open eventually when the stem is at room temp. good luck with your showing!

o

They should keep quite well in a refrigerator. Be sure it's not set so high it freezes the buds, and also be absolutely sure NOT to have any kind of produce in there (you said yours is empty now), since that produces ethylene gas that will premature kill open flowers and make buds abort.

When you take it out, be sure to use not just water, but a solution of cut flower food. You can buy it, but you can also easily make your own by adding about a teaspoon of table sugar and a quarter teaspoon of powdered citric acid (sour salt, sold in the spice/baking area or with the dietetic foods/low sodium foods) to a quart of lukewarm water.

o

Thanks for the help. The lily is in the refrigerator as I type.

o

I may want to slow the maturation of a lily I wish to show at the county fair next week
So how did you come out with refrigerating it? Did you get to enter it at the fair?

Details...Pics?

I might add too, that in the future, you might add a wet towel or some containers with water in them, to raise the humidity some, especially if it happens to be a frost free fridge.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here