Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anime_lover713

Lily of the Valleys dead or no?

anime_lover713
9 years ago

So I had these lilies since Feb (meaning I planted them since Feb...prolly mid February..) and they were growing leaves and all...then I think come May or something the leaves just died off. I made sure the conditions were right and I don't know what happened.

I read that if the stem is dead, a good way to check is the roots. Two of the four pips have a hint of greenish tint on it..I read from some post that they are VERY hard and confusing to grow..and I agree...I don't get these lilies.

Comments (11)

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Looks like a viable root and pip start to me. It does seem to be true that getting them established (it can take a couple of years) is the hardest part. But once they take, you'll have them for life. I'd put that one back in the ground.

Many gardeners find them to be a nuisance, but I like them and have them where they can spread without impacting anything else. Should they get out of control, I can spade up the leading edge to move them back.

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the rest of the pics...

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic three

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture #4

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aaand Picture #5. Are they still viable and good?

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what to tell you. LOV's have a pretty extensive root system as you can see. If they're not mushy and rotten, I'd expect them to be good. I'd get them in the ground a few inches deep, water them in and see what happens.

There's a fair amount of information on LOV on the web.

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah so I've read, but not much about what to do when they are being complicated in growing them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

This plant is actually not a lily but more closely related to asparagus. And it is extremely easy to grow - just wants loose, fertile soil in at least part shade. Orientation is not all that critical but those little cone shaped points are the new stems for next season and should be pointed upwards. Cover with 3-4 inches of soil.

LOV take around 3 years to establish well and then, watch out!! Many folks complain they will try to take over. They also often want to go dormant in summer. No worries there, either.

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How are they easy to grow when they take 3 years to establish as you say? And why give them the name of Lily?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I'm gonna assume you are new to gardening cuz any plant other than annuals typically take several seasons to establish and the larger the plant, the longer it takes. And by 'establish' I mean fully settled in, adequate root development and beginning the tendency to spread. Planted now, you will have growth and most likely flowers next spring but that's a long way from established.

And many plants have 'lily' in the common name that have nothing to do with lilies. Common names are just made up names or plant nicknames if you will and have nothing at all to do with the actual botanical classification. There are very likely more non-lily plants with 'lily' in the common name than there are true lilies :-)) Here's just a few:
    Torch lily - Kniphofia
    Foxtail lily - Eremerus
    Peruvian or princess lily - Alstroemeria
    Calla lily - Zantadeschia
    Toad lily - Tricyrtis
    Blackberry lily - Belamcanda
    Voodoo lily - Dracunculus or Armorphophallus
    Day lily - Hemerocallis
    Water lily - Nymphaea
    Lily turf - Liriope
    Pineapple lily - Eucomis
    Plantain lily - Hosta
    Lily of the Valley - Convallaria

• anime_lover713
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not new to gardening, however just new to Lilies. I know that there are some plants out there that are like this case and some that are not.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?