Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantloverinnd

Can you help with identification

plantloverinnd
16 years ago

Can someone tell me what type of lily this is. I didn't plant it and it must have been included with a bag of asiatic lilies.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Really cool photo. Unfortunately there are so, so many hybrids of lilies, and I don't really know them well. I would post on the Lily forum with a better pic that would show the true color.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Whoops! this is the lily forum! Obviously I wasn't paying good attention.

I'll just go sit in the corner now . . . .

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

No expert in identifications, but it looks as if it could be Lilium Tigrinum. Besides the usual orange, I have a few in yellow, white, cream, pink, and maroon. Once open, the petals reflex. Are bulbils forming in the leaf axils? If so, plant some and increase your stock - that looks like a nice lily.

• plantloverinnd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, it is a lovely lily. I took the photo quite late and almost had to lay on the ground so as to get the true shape of the flower. I'd planted a Martagon several years ago and thought that it had finally grew/returned but evidently it is not a Martagon! The plant is about 4 feet tall and is growing at the very front of one of my daylily and lily beds but because of the pink color I will let it be for now and hope I can get it to multiply so as to move it further back. This is only the third year or so that I've planted/grown Oriental and Asiatic lilies. I'm really appreciating the bloom duration as compared to the daylilies(they are my first love, however). I've purchased my lily plants from Menards and only recently ordered a catalog specializing in lilies. After looking at the pictures others have posted, I may need to expand my horizons since I can't say any of mine are "breathtaking". I had planted Acupulco about 3 years ago and the scent was heavenly but it did not overwinter. I'm needing to find a website explaining "petal reflex", "bulbils" forming in the leaf "axils" and how to propogate. Can you recommend a website?

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Reflex means to curve backwards (like the Martagons and Tigers). If it's a tiger lily, round seeds (bulbils) will be forming at the point (axil) where the leaf and stem meet. If you plant the bulbils, or just let them fall in the dirt, you'll get an exact duplicate of the plant it fell from - but it'll take 3 years, at least, to reach blooming size. Lots of lily websites on Google; any of them that aren't trying to sell you something have pretty good info on the different lilies and how to propogate them.

I've gotten a lot of my Oriental and Asiatic lilies at Menard's and a nice prepackaged collection of tigers from K-mart. All have done very well for me.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists