Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Purple King' - desease? Environmental problem?

Posted by alina_1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 17:29

My 'Purple King' I bought from B&D just opened its first bloom. The flower is deformed and mottled. I hope that is not a virus because the foliage is nice and green. Any thoughts?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Purple King' - desease? Environmental problem?

Hi,
This could be due to a virus, but also could be due to nutrition. If you're attached to the plant, quarantine it away from the other lilies and perhaps a differnet spot may do the trick. If it's the same next year, destroy the bulb before the virus spreads through insects. B&D will probably give you a credit if you send them that pic. Purple King is one of my favorites in the garden. Good luck! Did you plant the bulb this year? Sometimes it takes a winter in a new spot to become established.

o
RE: 'Purple King' - desease? Environmental problem?

I just received a reply from Bob (B&D). This is what he answered:

I have had close to a dozen other people report deformed flowers this year from your area. New Jersey seems to be the worst with 5 I think, but MD, lower NY, DE, and parts of Virginia are all experiencing the same thing and all with different lilies. This indicates an environmental cause. You had a very odd spring this year and I think with wide temp changes the rains, etc it affected the development of some buds.

I feel so much better now! The color of this Lily is so unusual, it is going to be a star in my garden!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here