Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botanybabe

Tall Sheherezade photos, as promised

botanybabe
16 years ago

I promised to post these. The bud count was 135. The tallest stalk is 7.5 feet. They are taller than the standard Japanese maple that is nearby. And this is about NORMAL for this lily.

{{gwi:1037288}}

{{gwi:1037290}}

I look forward to these blossoms every year. They are gorgeous, but this year, they don't have much fragrance. It's probably the heat.

Lainey

Comments (10)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Lovely!
    Stupid deer ate my 'Sheherezade' buds, so I will not see blooms till next year :-(

• cnid
    16 years ago

Unbelievable. Do you water? I have a true drought garden so hesitate to torture plants that do need some coddling. It's probably borderline hardy here too (I am closer to 5a-4b).

Whatever the case - gorgeous!! I can almost smell them on the screen!

cnid

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

cnid, Scheherazade is proven hardy on the Prairies, although mulching is still recommended for the winter. This one has overwintered many years now at Valley K's zone 3 garden, although it has never exceeded 1.4M in height. But they do indeed need a small saw to chop the stems down in fall.

I've got a bulb on order for this fall ;)

• phylrae
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous....can I ask you though, how can a lily have 135 buds? Did I misunderstand? Did you mean 35 (which is STILL unbelievable?) I just planted Scheherazade last fall (or possibly earlier this spring) and can't wait to see it. :0) Phyl

• kprp
    16 years ago

They look great, very healthy and happy!

I grow this lily and it's very strong!

However, I have to say that I get it mixed up with Arabesque which I also have.

• covella
    16 years ago

That is awesome and I use it in the true sense of the word!
    Is the red more of a brick red? My Black Beauty's are more of a wine or tend to the dark pink. I don't think they would mix well with this bulb in my lily bed - protected from deer against the house. But that is one incredible plant.

• judyswont
    16 years ago

Where in Canada can these bulbs be ordered? I ordered some "lily tree" bulbs from Brecks and the pictures looked similar to the ones shown by botanybabe. They are supposed to grow huge by the 3rd year, however I haven't had much luck so far. One got chewed off by a chipmunk, and the other one just came up a couple of weeks ago. (I had given up on it!) Time will tell if I get any flowers. The Sheherezade looks amazing - I assume the bulbs are expensive?

Judy

• alina_1
    16 years ago

plantlilies.com sells them for fall shipment. I am not sure if The Lily Garden (the hybridizer of this variety) sends their bulbs to Canada. You might want to contact them and ask about it.
    Brecks is notorious for the incorrect descriptions and badly photoshopped pictures. The quality of their plants are often very low and prices are unreasonably high.
    On the other hand, if you did not provide proper conditions for your lilies, the bulbs from reputable seller will fail for you just like the bulbs from Brecks.

• mipeonyzone5
    16 years ago

Wow, I have to say I never knew that lilies could grow so tall. These look just great.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor