Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smkymtn1drer

Name this lily?

smkymtn1drer
13 years ago

I'm hoping someone will tell me the name of this lily. I bought it a few years ago at a local nursery where it was informatively labelled, "Lily". It's the only one I've ever had and a beauty, but it smells bad.

Also, will it ever make more plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Anonymous Lily

Comments (11)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I'm no expert on lilies, but traffic has been very slow on this forum lately, so let me tell you what little I know about this lily.

I would say it is the Oriental lily Stargazer, except that you say its aroma is "bad." Stargazer is known for a strong fragrance, but most gardeners rave about how wonderful it is, so I'm not sure about yours. On the other hand, Stargazer is very popular and readily available--I would think most nurseries would carry it, and I know of no other red/white lily that most nurseries would carry--so that argues for the likelihood that yours is Stargazer. Perhaps the smell thing is different for different noses. Why don't you ask a friend to sniff it and say whether he/she finds its smell wonderful or bad.

If it is Stargazer, it probably should produce baby Stargazers, but like many other plants, perhaps it needs to be three or more years old to do that. I don't really know on that score.

At any rate, it is a gorgeous lily. Looks great with those white daisies.

Kate

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kate! Such clear reasoning plus photos match. As for the smell, I have a sometimes painfully acute nose. The fragrance is sweet but cloying and too strong for me --I suppose others might like it. I will ask.

It is a knock-out, isn't it! It's three this year, so maybe babies. Each year it has made more blooms --will this continue, do you know?

Corin

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I don't know about longevity. I once had a half dozen white lilies (trumpet or Oriental--can't remember) in my back garden which bloomed wonderfully for several years and then just started dwindling away--one puny one left that doesn't bloom at all. But in that same bed are two clusters of yellow asiatic lilies that still, after all these years, keep on blooming beautifully.

On this forum is a thread claiming that Oriental lilies do not survive well after several years of blooming. I hope that isn't true since I presently have another garden with three clusters of three different Oriental lilies that are magnificent in their third year. I have no idea what to expect next year.

Let's cross our fingers and hope.

Kate

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Kate,
    I think I found that longevity thread, then searched for an answer about life-expectancy. Apparently, it depends on how happy the plant is and more, on sheer luck. So, crossing our fingers is a really good idea! ;)

Thanks for saying mine looks nice with the daisies. That took me aback because I was feeling guilty about said daisies --they've flopped over, deadheads and all, and look awful. But they do make a nice homely background for the fancified lily.

I noticed my link (http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/1_Corin/Stargazer%20Lily%20at%203%20yrs/?action=view&current=011.jpg) doesn't work anymore. Do you know --does the forum do this? Break photo links?

Corin

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I have a photobucket account and have never had problems with links to the pics--some of which I posted several years ago. So I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering about the "s883" that precedes the word "photobucket" in that address. I don't remember seeing anything like that in my photobucket links--but, then, I haven't really checked, so maybe I just didn't notice. Perhaps try posting it again--see if you can find the problem.

Kate

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

When I was a florist I had multiple customers over the years complain about the fragrance of 'Stargazer' and other Oriental lilies. I always thought they were crazy, no offense intended, I think they smell fantastic.

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's an old saying:

Non de gustibus disputatem. Basically, it means don't bother arguing about matters of taste.

But being a florist, it was lucky you loved the fragrance! I'd gag... LOL

• nat4b
    13 years ago

Wow, I wish I had better sense of smell. I can barely smell my orientals, mostly only when I get very close, and even then sometimes

• smkymtn1drer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But think of all you are spared, Nat! I'll bet you can use public restrooms, clean with bleach or ammonia, and sit next to women wearing lots of heavy perfume in complete comfort.

For me, those things are torture. You're lucky!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I hate being around wearers of heavy perfume.

• nat4b
    13 years ago

Ha! I wish. It seems like it's only good things: flowers, good food, perfumes (that's such a sad thing for me, I can't smell mine :( )
    I feel for you though!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County