Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can most lillies grow indoors?

Posted by abacoian fl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 17:44

I'm thinking of getting a few bulbs and trying them. I live in Florida. Outside I should plant them in the shade right? And would they do well indoors?

I'm looking at trying to grow the "Linda" lilly. What size pot would be big enough for it to grow well?

I'm also wondering how and when it might produce new bulbs and if I just dig them up?

Thank you so much for your help.
Ian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can most lillies grow indoors?

Sorry, most lilies won't do well indoors. It is a pretty firm rule of thumb in gardening that plants that grow outdoors naturally in temperate climates will not easily grow indoors. For example, things like potted hydrangeas, azaleas, lilies and even tabletop Christmas trees. They are intended as gift plants or for short term use at best. Indoors rarely addresses the light, temperature, humidity and dormancy needs these plants require to survive. Successful indoor plants - houseplants - are nearly always from semitropical or tropical climates.

Depending on your hardiness zone, Asiatic lilies like Linda may need a chilling period. And they prefer sun but will tolerate light shade. A single bulb is easily grown in a standard nursery gallon but you will get a better effect if you choose a larger pot with multiple bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to grow lilies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here