Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replanting Lilies

Posted by Raimisx9 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:47

Hello. I am new to this. ;) I need to replant my lilies and they are still green and finished blooming only days ago. I need to replant them, because I am completely changing my garden. I want to ask you guys, how to replant them at this stage? Shoud I cut stem and plant bulbs immediately somewhere or I can store it till fall? Thanks in advance

This post was edited by Raimisx9 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replanting Lilies

Ideally you should let the foliage die back naturally, let the bulbs go dormant, and then lift and replant. Your best bet would be to try to unearth them without too much disturbace, keeping the rootball intact, and store them in pots until fall. Then when the foliage has died and they are dormant you can replant them. The bulbs need the foliage to remain in place to replace their stores of energy for next year's growth before they go dormant. Do not cut the stems back now, you will surely hurt them. Good luck!

o

Lilies do not go dormant like other bulbs. Once lifted, the bulbs should be replanted as soon as possible. You can carefully dig out the bulbs, stem and all, and replant immediately in the new location. Leave the entire stem present until all the foliage dies back and then you can cut off. I always leave a few inches remaining just to mark where the lilies are for future reference (and to prevent their being trod on when working or adding plantings later).

o

a friend gave me some lilies this year she dug right out of the ground in mid-bloom. she told me "i have done this for years this way so i know what colors they are" they went in the ground some had no bulbs! but the flowers continued to bloom. approaching fall now and they appear as if nothing ever disturbed them. dying back just like the others :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here