Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now what???

Posted by jenn729 NH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 18:55

Hi everyone,
I'm new around here, and new to gardening. I have been bothering the kind folks in the "Name that plant" forum an awful lot.
I know very little about lillies, and I am learning as I go. I was so very excited to see my first blooms...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
that were blown off during a storm. The remaining buds eventually bloomed, and were prettier than than the first.
But last night, another windy storm with heavy rains left them bare. Here is what they look like today...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Will they grow back this year? Is there anything I should do now? I would greatly appreciate any advice given. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now what???

Hi,

Unfortunately they will not bloom again. I lost a few this year too, but it being a new plant I look forward to the show next year. Yours is very pretty.

Jen

o

That is a nice lily, but its blooming period is finished for this season. At least you got to see them bloom before the wind and rain. The only thing I'd do is cut off the little arms where the blooms were attached so the plant doesn't waste its energy setting seeds. Leave the stem and let it yellow and brown out over the rest of the growing season - it's feeding the bulb for next year. In the fall, when the stems are dry and woody, cut them down. I like to leave a little bit of stem sticking up above the soil line so I know where to look for them in the spring. Chances are good that for every lily with one stem you have this year, next year they could multiply to two or three stems and each with a nice set of blooms - eventually you'll have a nice clump of bulbs that can be separated.

o

Thank you so much for the help. I will follow your instructions and await next years beauties.
I truly would be lost without the guidance I receive from the members of this site. Thanks again! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here