Return to the Lily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Oriental's after the bloom

Posted by mdkorpi MN soon NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 20:03

I received 3 beautiful potted Mona Lisa Orientals for my birthday. Well, I don't want to plant them here in Minnesota when we will be moving next spring to North Carolina. I want them there. What should I do with them?? How cold of storage do they need for winter? We are zone 3. I have an unheated entry but it gets REALLY cold here. Could the pots be wrapped with anything? I know I have lots of questions. I have never had this type of flower before and I just love it. They are so pretty and fragrant. Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Oriental's after the bloom

• Posted by hld6 z7 MD (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 2:41

Hi Mdkorpi,

Lilies need to be at 40 degrees or lower for a few months to vernalize.

Being really cold won't hurt lilies, as long as they get there gradually and don't suffer too wide of temperature swings. Depending on when you are moving, the easiest thing would be to plant them now and dig them up when you move. Don't separate the bulbs just toss the whole root ball into the ground. That will make it easier to dig them up in the Spring, (the rootball should be pretty much intact). You can space them properly when you get to NC. If you're afraid your ground will be too frozen to dig up - I'd try making an oversize hole and put a layer of mulch on the bottom and sides - and then plant the rootball and put a layer of mulch on top (and keep an eye out for heaving).

If you'd like to store them over the winter, this Fall put your bulbs in just moist peat moss and store in your fridge's veggie drawer. But, leave the veggies out (ripening fruit and veggies can be a problem for the bulbs). While bulbs get frozen in nature without ill effects, its generally not advised to put them in your freezer. If the link doesn't work search the lily forum for "do not put flower bulbs in the freezer".

-Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: freezing bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here