Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

Is this Stargazer or Mona Lisa Lily? New to Lilies

tracyvine
16 years ago

Hello, I have been attempting to identify this lily on my own but have come into several photos that are very similar of both the stargazer lily and Mona Lisa. Personally, I have been leaning toward Mona Lisa but obviously could be wrong. Please help me figure this out. It has just started blooming, the blooms are about 5"-6" across and the height is around 3 feet. I did post on the lily gallery but haven't had any response. Thank you for your help!

Tracy

Comments (12)

• hld6
    16 years ago

Hi Tracy

If it has just started blooming it is not Mona Lisa, which is one of the earliest Orientals. Also, Mona Lisa is much shorter than most Orientals which tend to be 4 feet or taller. Mona Lisa is ~ 2 feet. (I'm assuming this was a bulb you planted last Fall and not a potted lily whose height and bloom time has been "adjusted" by a greenhouse.)

-Helen

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Looks like a Stargazer to me.

Jen

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Helen and Jen, Thanks for the help. No, it is not a potted lily. I inherited the lilies from the previous owner of our home. We haven't seen this one bloom before this year, this will be our 3rd summer here. Does it make a difference in the bloom time since it is in mostly shade during the day? This doesn't get sun until late afternoon. I plan on dividing the bulbs this year in the early fall and moving to a sunnier location. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Tracy

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

Hi Tracy,

Lilies (most) like lots of sun, the Stargazers would do
    much better in full sun. I bet you will notice a lot more blooms next year.

Jen

• hld6
    16 years ago

Hi Tracy
    I notice small differences between one garden and another in bloom time for the same variety of lily, usually by just a few days. A lily planted in dappled shade may bloom up to a week or so later than one planted in full sun, but even for large differences in sun there won't be a dramatic difference in bloom time.

What is amazing to me is how consistent the bloom time is for my lilies from one year to the next, (within a couple days of their bloom time last year), though environmental conditions, rain, temperatures, cloud cover, etc., must vary from year to year.

-Helen

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Helen and Jen, Thanks so much for the help with my questions! I have been reading up on scaling lilies/dividing bulbs. Is there any advice you can give from a practical "home gardener" standpoint? Most of the info is put up by pros who garden in very controlled environments.

I will be waiting to do this until after they have browned down on the stems. I have seen many websites that offer instruction but how large should the scales be and are there times when you should just put it back in the ground and not try to divide them at all?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions but I would hate to lose the lilies I have in order to try to get more from them and risk ruining them.

• niptrixbop
    16 years ago

Tracy,
    As Jen said, your lily seems to be Stargazer. Stargazer's flower has a definite white edge, and the color of the stem is green; by contrast, Mona Lisa's stem is dark and lacks the definition of the white edge on the flower.

The only additional suggestion in order to divide your lily: remove the spent flowers, so they don't form seed pods. All the energy will go to form a larger and/or new bulbs that can be divided any time after the tops have died in the fall.

As long as the soil drains well, any fertile soil in a sunny location will do. Just put plants around the lilies to shade the their roots.

• joshuaslc
    16 years ago

Were they upward facing if not then it's not Star Gazer looks very much like it though my Mona Lisa have a slight white edge on them but are three feet tall my star gazer in first year bloom was just a little taller beutifull pic though

• tsbccowboy
    16 years ago

My Mona Lisa flowered much earlier than Stargazer.

Mona Lisa
    7/3/07

Stargazer
    7/25/07

• phyl_1936
    15 years ago

The picture of your lily looks like my Emily Lily. I've had it for several years and have searched for another one. In my searching I've found that the Mona Lisa resembles it.

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

whatever it is tracy its gorgeous. The deer got some of my lillies that I didnt get sprayed. I went to lowes last night and found lillies on sale for 3.99. when I got to the Check out counter I found out it was only certian pots, Even though they were the same variety. UGH I was so mad.

Good to see you! My wall garden has exploded with growth this year.Some of the stuff didnt bloom but theres always next year.
    cyn

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville