Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eibren

Three Oriental Lilies Topped

eibren
9 years ago

These were my only three Oriental lilies, planted years ago, and this year there were six of them peeking out at once from behind a tall knotweed fleece-flower border. There were still numerous buds on at least one of the stems, so I was looking forward to enjoying them for at least another week or two.

I looked closely at the stems, and there was no indication of any bite marks--the stems were shredded as if something had simply yanked the end stem off with the lovely flowers. IMO it is unlikely that the stems were pulled to the ground by an animal to remove the flowers, as they were still upright and in the same position as when they still had flowers, and the lack of bite marks makes me suspect a large human did this.

This flower display was really the only thing that made my front flower hedge look nice. It is right next to the sidewalk, the flowers were at a height of almost four feet, and they were back too far for a young child to reach.

I am very angry about this. My only nice display of flowers has been destroyed, in such a way that the plants themselves might have been harmed. The stem condition indicates the flowers were simply yanked off in a barbarian act of destruction.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? How did you respond?

Comments (4)

• Wusswolf
    9 years ago

Hi Eibren,
    Actually something similar JUST happened to me:
    I woke up Saturday morning to my beloved Blue Chiffon Rose of Sharon pulled straight out by it's tiny trunk, roots and all, and dumped unceremoniously on my front step. Obviously not the work of animals, the assumption is that it was drunks passing through, but it still broke my heart and infuriated me (I've replanted and watered daily, it doesn't look like it's going to make it).

Last month is was my Allium Giaganteum from the same small garden, someone simply stole the bloom, but the description is much like yours, with the shredded stem.

Before this Friday night I have every intention of "staking" up all of my favourites in the front yard. It just so happens that I recently trimmed my wild black-raspberry canes in the back yard (extremely thorny and painful to touch), and I'm think they'll make perfect stakes, twist-tied to the stems of anything I care about.

I'd love to watch someone grab a handful of that!

Best of luck with your lilies, I'm hoping that they come back next year healthy as ever!

(It was also suggested to me that I set up a webcam in my front window - which doesn't work for me, but maybe would for you)

• shaddy101
    9 years ago

Deer do nasty things to one's gardens, and unless you want to stand guard 24/7, you may have to put up with it.
    I live right downtown, and have deer damage to my liles, and anything else that suits their fancy. They calmly walk the streets, and take advantage, not only side streets, but the main drag coming into town,
    We are trying milorganite, a fert with a strong odor, it seems to keep them away, but now later in the season, I don't have a problem, just early, when the stems, buds etc., are savory, and sweet.

• eibren
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your Rose of Sharon; such a lovely little plant to have such a fate.

I had always assumed Asiatic lilies were toxic, but three different lily types are eaten or used as herbs in Asia...so I have to wonder if our neighborhood skunk might have gotten my lilies. It was around that night...

:o(

• jaco42
    9 years ago

A light on a mottion detector wouldn't be a bad Idea either. There are also sprinkler systems that can be set off by motion detectors. If it's an animal it will scare them off without harm and if the culprit is human wouldn't it be embarassing to them to be caught red handed childishly pulling plants from your garden.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks