Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemguynj

What's Blooming Right Now?

chemguynj
17 years ago

Hi all. I'm at an intermission. I've got only one Oriental blooming (La Reve) and most of the asiatics and LAs have been deadheaded. What's blooming right now for you on the east coast? Pictures welcome.

Joe

Comments (12)

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Not exactly the east coast, but here's what I have blooming today.

LA Hybrid - just a bit past prime, most of the rest are done here too

Asiatic Lily Vivaldi - with Variegated Solomon's Seal - all the ones in more sun have finished.
    {{gwi:196944}}

Ignore date - supposed to read 7/9/6

Yellow Trumpets

First orienpet to open this season

• chemguynj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the awesome pics. Triumphator is definitely on my list. I don't have any trumpets and have just started planting more Orienpets a month ago. What's the last Orienpet pic? Very beautiful layout...thanks again.

Joe

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Leslie,
    All your photos are gorgeous! Joe, this is what has bloomed for us:
    Asiatics: Many bicolors and more to come
    Trumpet Lily: 3 Amethyst Temple/3 Anaconda & 5 Lady Alice to follow

1st Orienpet to bloom was Orania (x5) BOY, these are INCREDIBLE! Their beauty and scent are awesome.
    Next Orienpets to bloom will be 5 Red Hot/5 Robina/2 Visa Versa/1 each of Anastasia/Arabesque/American Heritage/American Spirit and 5 of 8 OTs from J&P (3 disappeared).
    Then we have LOTS of different orientals and finally, 5 speciosum Rubrum.
    I wish I had photos....my next goal is to learn to take photos with digital camera.
    :0) Phyl

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Joe, sorry I have no idea what variety of orienpet is in the last picture. It was from a mixed collection of orienpets that I got as a bonus from a non-bulb catalog. Everything I received grew really well and is very pretty. :~)

• chemguynj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Phyl,
    Orania is amazing. I can easily smell it from across the yard. I thought about picking up a Robina from the Lily Pad but chose a Purple King instead. I did get American Bandstand and American Original at the Lily Pad though. These should fill in some gaps. However, these went into the ground a month ago and I am not expecting them to flower this year. What orientals are blooming for you? I think a Tom Pouce is on the way for me soon but not open yet. My first year for Tom Pouce.

Thanks Phyl,

Joe

Thanks again Leslie!

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Joe,
    I tried to look up Purple King in my B&D catalog...couldn't find it (though it is listed in the index!) Will Google it! Oh well, haven't ordered from them before, just nice eye candy! I did order from The Bulb Crate though, as well as from the ones listed below. Alice was great, and bulbs were too.
    Our orientals haven't bloomed yet, but what we have (some planted last year, some this spring):

A mix of 10/$25 unknown orientals from BuggyCrazy (HUGE bulbs-she asked for my preferences, though no guarantees what she ended up sending me-guess she isn't in business anymore :0( She had an excellent reputation though!

The rest came from John Scheepers and Brent and Becky's Bulbs and Bluestone Perennials. They will be:

5 Arena
    5 Mojave
    5 Excelsior
    5+ Dizzy (all striped)

5 Muscadette
    5 Tom Pouce
    5 Lovely Girl
    1 Siberia plant from a friend
    1 Stargazer plant from a local nursery a few years ago

Joe and Leslie, can you tell me about LA
    hybrids? They don't look all that exciting to me in the catalogs (although Orania didn't do that much for me in pictures either!), but I grow my flowers for small vases that I sell locally, and know that LAs are supposed to be thicker-petalled (maybe lasting longer?) and have a scent (whereas plain asiatics don't).
    Can you recommend any LAs in particular, that are superior?
    Or at least "not boring?" LOL I love VIBRANT and FUN blooms! :0) Phyl

• chemguynj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Phyl,
    I also got the Buggy Crazy deal of 10 for $25. Lisa is still selling bulbs. Check the link below. She is my favorite seller. I purchased a Leslie Woodriff and a Scheherazade from her in early Spring that were the size of X-large grapefruits. She wrote "the really big ones had already been sold."
    Lovely Girl is on my list too!
    I found Purple King OT at the Lily Pad and have not seen it anywhere else. They seem to have sold out. I don't think I'll see it bloom this year, but if I do I'll post.
    As far as LA's, Suncrest is pretty popular. Many cut flower sellers get their bulbs from Ednie flower bulbs. Have you tried them?
    Looks like a great list!

Thanks ,
    Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: BuggyCrazy

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Hey Joe,
    I couldn't believe how big BuggyCrazy (Lisa's) bulbs were either. Ours were the same size as yours! I sprayed/soaked all our lily bulbs with Ropel (from Brent and Becky's) because I didn't want any critters to get them! I hope you enjoy your orientals when they show up. If you have access to a digital camera and can post pics, do so, ok? BTW, two more Orienpets bloomed today....very similar blooms, but somewhat different, both gorgeous...Visa Versa and Red Hot. In John Scheepers' online catalog, Red Hot looks orange with a golden edge....but in reality it was more like a light red. Your Purple King is really nice too.
    Have fun! And thanks for the info re: BuggyCrazy and Ednie's. Actually, I just emailed Lisa (BC) to ask if she would be selling any more lilies and she said that she would do so in very limited quantities because they were so expensive to produce and due to "having serious water issues and possibly not having any water for washing bulbs later in the year." (I'm not sure why, what she meant by that).
    Take care! Phyl

• leslie197
    17 years ago

Phylrae,

I don't know if the LA Hybrids will work for what you want, but for me they are simply good garden plants. The LA hybrids grow really well for me. For whatever reason they form larger clumps than the Asiatics do. I also have good luck with Orienpets and various Trumpets & Regale lilies, but the Orientals seems to mostly fade away.

I also like the height (tall but not outrageous) of the LA Hybrids and I never have to stake any of them - very stout sturdy stems. I always have to stake the trumpets and most of the Orienpets & even a good number of the Asiatics (maybe too shady where I grow them).

In addition, I like the bloom time. They seem to fill a little niche in my yard. Most of the Asiatics are gone, , it's too early for the Orienpets, the trumpets are starting, and the LAs are going great guns.

Some LAs look a lot like Asiatics, some more like upright but shallow trumpets. If they face up, you can still look down on/into them, since they like to settle (in my yard) around 4 - 41/2 ft. I also can't explain it, maybe it is the thicker petals, but they seem to have a smoother shiny texture, which can be very attractive close-up.

The flowers on the plant last well, but I seldom cut them and bring them inside, so I can't tell you if they hold well for cutting purposes. The fragrance of the LAs, on the other hand, is quite light. To me anyway, large clumps do not smell as much as a single oriental.

Hope this helps, Leslie

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Leslie,
    Thank you SO much for all the info you gave me (us) on the LA hybrids! Wow, that really helped me in deciding about them. I'm so thankful for these forums. You must have a gorgeous garden Leslie! :0) Phyl

• hemnancy
    17 years ago

I'm on the west coast.:-) Lollipop bloomed first and has multiplied, then some generic orange Asiatics are blooming now and have not multiplied. Trumpets started blooming next and are still blooming- Pink Perfection, Regal, and Moonlight. One Moonlight is 8' tall with 16 blooms, and has some offsets growing too. L. speciosum rubrum bloomed well one year then disappeared. My Oriental lilies have buds but have not started to bloom yet. Some of them are 7 years old. I have about decided to order some LA hybrids this year. Thanks for the info!

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Hemnancy,
    I looked at your page and noticed your fun sense of humor (a nose by any other name still smells) LOL I imagine maybe your username is somehow in reference to sewing?
    Anyway, those sound like great choices .... I almost got some Pink Perfection, although I think my Amethyst Temple probably looks a little bit like that. Since I want most of my lilies for cutting, the huge trumpets aren't that good of choices. Sorry to hear you lost L. speciosum rubrum....I will be interested to see how ours bloom this, their first year. What LA hybrids look good to you? I don't know which ones I'm most interested in. I notice that John Scheepers has them at a great price, something like 25/$20 (mix). Take care, Phyl

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms