Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie197

Just opening now - picures

leslie197
17 years ago

First three are Aurelian & Trumpets, last two are early Orientals, sorry no variety names, but if you check http://www.thelilygarden.com/ you will find very similar varieties/

{{gwi:243230}}

Comments (16)

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

They are pretty, bet they smell wonderful too. I love the next to last pink.

Jen

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Wow, they are all beautiful. I love lilys.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Maureen

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

I love, love, love those yellow ones and the stargazer. The pink one is pretty, too, well they all are nice. Actually that is a pretty apricot one; so many I see I don't care for the shade or form. Thanks for sharing the photos.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Very nice, all of them! The first one looks like my Aurelian 'Bright Star', which was supposed to be orange but is yellow just like yours. Here is a picture of mine. They smell great, don't they?

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

what's the pink one? I want it

• leslie197
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mac Girl,

Sorry, I have no idea about the name of the pink one. It was in a mixed orientals package from White Flower Farm or Dutch Gardens.

Orientals are the least persistent of the lilies for me, so I never buy indiviual expensive ones anymore. Whenever they start petering out for me, I just look around for a mix with a reasonable price.

WWF's pink mix of Strawberries & Cream (they have oriental & asiatic packages) has worked very well for me & so has the more widely color varied mixes at DG.

• beachgardensurfer
    17 years ago

so beautiful!

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Leslie,
    I think I have the same pink one blooming right now...but if it isn't Pesaro (which I think I planted last year), it may be something different that came to me from BuggyCrazy last fall (a mix of 10 Orientals).
    I also have the "cantaloupe" colored trumpet-type one you have pictured from White Flower Farm....I ordered 3 of them last fall. They are called Anaconda. When Anaconda opened up, that's all I could think of, my favorite fruit...cantaloupe! They are all wonderful lilies!! :0) Phyl

• leslie197
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Phylrae! I had a day off from work this past week and decided to make a spread sheet of my various bulb purchases over the past 3 or 4 years. I do that for perennials but never bothered making a chart for bulbs. I just had packets of invoices, packing slips, receipts & such stuffed in a plastic bag. Sure enough Anaconda is on the list! Next step is to go into my picture files and start naming some of them. Thanks again, Leslie

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

The first 2 pics didn't open totally on my pc. But concerning the last 2 pinks. The first pink is TOM PUCE. A real beauty and I have 30. The second pink I'm sorry everyone IS NOT STARGAZER. It is a close take-off of Stargazer but NOT the real thing. Stargazer has much darker red brush strokes. At the moment I can't think of the real name of this I'd have to look in my book. I have many STARS but this is NOT it but still great. i have this. I need a Digital camera. May I suggest this LILY...."NIPPON"...to my knowledge only availible thru DUTCH GARDENS catalog. mostly ivory white with lemon brush and light red spots with a red 1/8" line all around the edge and 9 1/2" across. little scent tho.

• venuscat
    17 years ago

lilium guy56,

All oriental lilies have fragrance on them. Some say they are too strong and others just love it. Please note, I hate to disappoint you and I could be wrong as well. The first oriental is not tom pouce.

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Leslie,
    Glad I could help. Our Tom Pouces just finished blooming....a definite lavender/yellow striped, some white. Got a question though, did you get quite a good mixture on White Flower Farm mixes? I'd like to do mixes, but am afraid there will be too many whites etc....I like FLAMBOYANT colors and patterns! And vivid colors moreso than pastels. Just wonderin'! :0) Phyl

• leslie197
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Phylrae,

White Flower Farm mixes like Strawberries and Cream are mostly pinks and creams. You can get some pretty pinks, but it is mostly pastels. They have separate packages of Asiatics and Orientals.

Dutch Gardens mixes are generally more colorful. I have also bought a mixed LA hybrid package from DG and some orienpet mixes. These were bright enough but not necessarily "flamboyant" :o) and certainly not the largest best bulbs on the market.

I know that there are better places to buy bulbs, but I like the mixes (maybe it is the surprise factor?) and if a particular type of lily does well from these sources, then I select some individual varieties of these types from better bulb suppliers. I like Brent & Becky's, Scheepers, Van Engelen (its sister company), B & D, & The Lily Garden - bound to be some flamboyant bulbs from those!

Sometimes you just get lucky - these came out of a bargain bin at a big box store. Each had between 40 & 50 blooms.
    {{gwi:203446}}

• ego45
    17 years ago

Here is a Tom Pounce

• leslie197
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ego45,

Really lovely picture - the yellow midrib almost seems to glow! Thanks for sharing.

• flora2b
    17 years ago

Is the pink oriental called rose elegance? I have one that looks just like that. Checkout link.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.botanus.com

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!